We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Has anyone heard if Billy Joe's, which is next to the Sheraton @ Our Lucaya made it through the hurricanes?

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

MADE IT JUST FINE...Just got back two days ago.

New Hartford CT
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Yup... open and making great Conch salads as usual

Camp Hill...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Glad to hear Billy Joe's survived the hurricane. Couldn't live with the thought of no more Billy Joe's Bahama Mama's and Conch Burgers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

freeport bahamas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Hi I'm Billy Joe's daughter. Thank you for your concern for about us. Yes thank God we survived two major hurricanes and were still serving up the original grill conch, cracked conch conch fritters, grilled lobsters and of course conch salads. Not to mention the Bahama mamas and much much more. We anticipate your arrival and look forward to serving up some of the best Freeport Bahamas has to offer.

Regards,

Billy Joes

Marietta, Ga
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

We are arriving there the 19th of Dec. and will be staying at the Westin...can't wait to try Billy Joe's!!!!!!! What is the weather like this time of year?

Gainesville, GA
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

I just got back yesterday. My wife got a kick out of conversing with the conch man for an hr. Billy was taking a well deserved rest sitting on the picnic table when we arrived. The Bahama Mama had enough rum in it to send us right in for a nap :-) The conch burger and the Cracked Conch are the best I have ever imagined. For those of you who are squimish about eating a giant sea slug let me tell you the meat is tender and sweet and better than, though similar to Scallop. The grouper was also quite good. The conch salad was fantastic. But be cautious. though not salty to taste there is ALOT of sodium in the conch salad. If you eat anywhere in the bahamas this is it.

Gainesville, GA
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Hey Debbie,

The hurricane had a devestating impact on the island. The good news is the westin was all geared up to open on the 17th while we where there last week. The weather of coarse is perfect about 78-83 with a nice ocean breeze. We got one of those $49 airtran deals (the plane was a quarter full). We rented a car at dollar for 5 days at $260 and got upgraded into a jeep. Billy Joes is to the far right of the Sheraton if you are facing the ocean. The bad news is the West end of the Island is flattened and nothing was in operation. The east end though damaged is in better shape. Bishops heading out to the east end is worth a trip for lunch. There is a cute candy cane lighthouse there as well. The Lucayan National Park with the caves is a wreck. You can still get to the caves but virtually all the paths after the caves are overgrown and nearly impassable. The vegitation there is brutal and sliced our ankles good. The Garden of the Groves no longer exsists, it is gone with no trace. Tourism on Grand Bahama is at its lowest point in memory. The Bahamians are very concerned and struggling with the lack of tourism money. Many shop owners are fearing they cannot survive much longer. Ok that all sounds bad but there are a few silver linings. The most obvious when you get there is the lack of tourists. It really is like you are on your own private island. The two major shopping areas had maybe at best 40 people at them. That means no reservations for dinner and alot of free incentives to dine. They have live music at night in the square and we always got a great seat as the restaurants are dead. The best thing we did was drive out to Paradise Cove and snorkel at deadmans reef. The people there where great once they warmed up to you. It was one of the most relaxing days of our lives. I heard more stories about customs and rum running that I felt I had heard a novel on tape. really fascinating. They have a full service bar and restaurant, snorkel rentals, clean restrooms. All dirt cheap. Lobster dinner $10. The snorkeling is really good. lots of variety. Unfortunalty the Duck Pond there got destroyed, but this place is now the jewel of the island. Oh yeah they even have internet service there, cheap.

Camp Hill...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Glad to hear everything' OK. Can't wait to get down there with the family this summer. We met you at the hair place on the beach along with BJ's grandson. As I recall he liked to play basketball. We still have two of the Queen conch shells that Billy sold us after we ate the conchs inside. He had just gone out that morning and harvested them. My 10 year old daughter still talks about being able to reach in and pull the conch out of the shell herself. You know the best thing about BJ was that when we got there we were hungry and had read about BJ's on the web. We thought it was part of Our Lucaya Sheraton so we brought only our room keys down. When we got there we found out different and had no cash but BJ said "no problem, pay me next time you come down." Well we came down every day after that for a week and ate conch everything and had Bahama Mama's AM and PM. We travel extensively for many years in the Carribean and I think this is our best memory.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

Hi BilliJoe,

I am coming to Grand Bahama on april, and sure i will go to your restaurant to eat well !.

;-)

sorry for my english...

Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Billy Joe's near Sheraton @ Our Lucaya

My hubby and I just booked a cruise that comes through there in February, and we don't want to take a package tour off the ship - we want to meet the locals! Thanks to you for the good info on Billy Joe's - we're looking forward to seeing you there!

Would you recommend renting a moped, or just taking the bus to get to Lucayan National Park, Rand Nature Centre and Garden of the Groves? Where do we get tickets for the parks - onsite? Do you know what they charge? How often does the bus come through?

What else should we do? I know I have a lot of questions and it's a lot to pack into one day, but we're basically just "window shopping" for a more extended stay later on! :)

Thanks for any help you can give me - I'll be anxious to get out of the ice and snow in February! Those Bahama Mamas sound good already! :)