We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welcome Reception at the Westin

Washington, DC
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Welcome Reception at the Westin

Hi, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with an area at the Westin where you could entertain a group of guests, without going through the event coordinators at the hotel. Unfortunately we just have a basic room, so will not have room to host 20-30 people in our room. We could look into getting a suite, but this may be out of our price range. I would like to serve wine/drinks to a group of people for like an hour without paying the hotel to do this, it would be very informal. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 hotels in West End
Bell Channel Inn
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 14 hotels in Freeport
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
#2 of 14 hotels in Freeport
Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Welcome Reception at the Westin

I can think of two possibilities, and using the resort's property is not one of them. I doubt you could get away with this type of event on the property without someone questioning what you are doing, mostly because it sounds like you'd almost have to set up a mini-bar to do it. You could go to the beach just of the hotel's property on the other side of the Sheraton and do whatever you wish, but that means on the beach and probably with no seating. The other thing that might work is going over to Count Basie Square in the Marketplace. That might work during daylight hours when there is no entertainment but I have never seen something like this done. There certainly is plenty of seating there and the only problem I see would be how you'd set up the wine/drinks without getting the surrounding bar proprietors upset (The Pub Bar, The Corner Bar and Rumrunner's are all next to the square, but the Corner Bar is not open during the day). Other than that unless you head out to a beach somewhere outside Port Lucaya doing this without some type of payment to someone else could be difficult to do.

Washington, DC
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Welcome Reception at the Westin

Thanks for the response. We have a group of about 40 people coming to the Bahamas and wanted to have a small welcome reception just to get the group together. However, we don't want to spend a lot since we are having a dinner cruise (probably through Pat & Dianes) on Friday and a big reception on Saturday. Maybe we can invite everyone to meet up at Rumrummers and buy the first round or something instead. I will be taking a trip there in May so I will check out the beach area that you mentioned.

Thanks again for your feedback, very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Welcome Reception at the Westin

If you are going in May you may want to consider contacting Janice Treco. She is by far the best wedding coordinator on the island. Unfortunately Our Lucaya and a couple of other larger hotels/resorts on the island banded together a few months ago and basically locked out all wedding coordinators except those connected directly with them. Our Lucaya does a ton of weddings every year and we saw 3-4 going on at the same time a couple of days while there in February, but their coordinators don't rank too high on anyone's list. Janice is handling only small weddings now (and I don't know how she defines small), but it's something to consider. Email me at ditson@comcast.net if it is something you would consider and I can provide contact info for you. By the way, she is just a friend and I'm not in business with her or anyone else on the island.

Danny