We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

Don't know a thing about Discovery cruise or the Bahamas but I upgraded to Island Seas? Was that good? Also where is I.Seas, can I walk to places of interest? bicycle, rent a car?who,what, when, where & how??????I won this trip and want to get the most ut of it.

thanks in advance for input.

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

I won't comment on you "winnning" this trip other than to say you'll likely end up paying a few hundred bucks for it in things labeled port fees, etc.. The upgrade is a good one. Island Seas has it all over the other places involved. The one disadvantage is it is isolated. That means you will not be able to walk other places. If you can afford around $40 per day I advise renting a car, although Island Seas does provide a shuttle bus service over to Port Lucaya, where most of the action is on the island these days. If you do wish to rent try Brad's (www.bradscarrental.com). Easily the best rental on the island and you can save a few dollars a day if you book on the internet. Enjoy your trip.

Danny

ewb
USA
Level Contributor
194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

Double check your "win" See what you are paying for fees and taxes. Most people have considered this win a scam.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

yes-nothing is free anymore. I paid taxes, port fees, departure fees and transport to the ship. But on the other hand I've never been on a cruise ship or to the Bahamas so it was worth a couple hun to see...then the next time I'll have an idea..I'm on an Island in Florida-Ft. Myers Beach-we are laid back here but season is over Easter and I am looking forward to a cruise to the Bahamas!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

You'll also pay resort taxes (12% of the room value), mandatory gratuities and other fees at the hotel when you check out. So be sure to bring along some extra $$$

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

I also hope you realize the Discovery is not what most people would consider a good example of a cruise liner. It's smaller, older and a far cry from a true liner. As long as you realize that it should be okay.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise/stay @ Island Seas-recommendations?first timer

Discovery is just a day cruise 6 hours I think, I don't even think we get a cabin. There are shows, gambling and activities going on and of course buffet food, but I want to enjoy the ride...and in Bahamas I want to see and get a feel for the locals and how they live. I'll look into the packages for snorkling Etc, thinking I may just want to see the land and blend in.

Thanks to all who remark..