We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Hi there -

Going down the end of March/early April with a group of 6-8 women for a bachelorette party. We are looking for a great snorkel trip, anywhere from 2-5 hours. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Just got back from Grand Bahama this week!

If you are renting your own car and are willing to drive 45 minutes to the east end of the island, you must contact Bill Humes.

He will take your group out privately, so you dont have to worry about being bothered by other tourists. He takes you to the best, most isolated areas away from the bustle of Freeport/Lucaya. He also speared us some lobsters to take home and cook. You can bring your own cooler of drinks/beer/food too.

He charges $75 a person for six-seven hours, including simple sandwiches for lunch. Call him at 242-353-6013.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, we are only there three nights and are celebrating a bachelorette party. "The Girls" are looking for something shorter in duration. I am look at the "Sail and Snorkel" offered by Reef Tours or the "Sensational Snorkeling Sea Safari" offered by Pat & Diane Snorkeling. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Remember this is just a personal opinion. Pat and Diane's does not have a great reputation right now. Reef Tours is okay, but I think there are two better options. Paradise Cove, where they will pick you up and drop you off at the hotel, and, probably the best deal, Peterson Cay Kayak and Snorkel Tour with Kayak Nature Tours Ltd.($79 each), although it might be a little too long for your taste and you DO have to spend some 30 minutes kayaking out to and back from Peterson Cay. Paradise Cove might fit your needs better. It reopened in mid-January and they have a bar and grill on the beach, will handle any snorkeling equipment you may need, and Barry, the owner, will go out of his way to make your day worth while.

Danny

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Thanks for your input. By saying an operator "doesn't have the best reputation right now," is that a safety thing or a reliability thing or both? Just trying to decode your post.

I think the kayak thing looks cool, but too long. What we are looking for is a boat ride to a snorkel spot, so the Paradise Cove (?) thing isn't what we are searching for.

Based on recommendations (however shaky they may be) I think Reef Tours sounds like our best bet. Or perhaps we'll just use the watersports place at Our Lucaya.

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

You'll not get very good snorkeling at Our Lucaya. Pat and Diane's has been getting knocks from customers lately, but I have not had personal experience with them in a long time. Your call but Reef Tours has a good reputation.

Danny

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

The reef tours sail and snorkel tour is good. But it is fairly short. Their sailboat is nice and the guides are laid back. The one drawback is they usually have everyone snorkel with a life jacket(you do not have to wear it, but they want most people to float on it -when snorkeling- so that they can keep track of the people in the water). If you have ever done much snorkeling, you will know that it is most fun when you are exploring under the water and not just floating on the surface. But you can tell them that you do not want to float on your jacket, they will make you bring it in the water with you, but are fine with you diving under the surface as long as when you resurface you keep track of where your jacket is. If you want to drink while on the boat your best bet is to bring your own bottle or bottles.(snorkeling drunk is never recomended)...

Just hanging out in lucaya and doing watersports with the local beach company is an ok option, however you will be missing out on the great adventures there are to be had outside the main areas. Most of the most amaizing areas of the island(especially snorkeling) are outside of lucaya. If you have any adventurous bones in your body than you should seriously consider journeying outside of Lucaya.

Two of the cooolest best companies that offer great snorkeling adventures are:

East End Adventures and kayak Nature Tours- It sounds like you may have already discovered KNT. Both of these companies have some of the best, well trained, and coolest guides on the island.

Since you want to do a boat/snorkeling adventure you should look into these options:

East End Adventures-BLUE HOLE SNORKELING SAFARI- this is a fun trip where you get picked up at your hotel and are taken to a secluded area of the island where you hop on a speed boat and get taken out to some great snorkel locations. The advenutre lasts for about five hours. Here is a link to their website with info and contacts for this adventure:

http://www.bahamasecotours.com/tour2.html

Kayak Nature Tours- PETERSON CAY KAYAK SNORKEL TOUR- this is your best kayaking/snorkel option. You get picked up at your hotel and driven to a secluded area of the island, then get into kayaks and paddle out a short distance to a deserted offshore island called Peterson's Cay where there is great snorkeling just off- the beach. This adventure also last about five hours.

Here is a link to their website with info and contacts for this adventure: http://www.grandbahamanaturetours.com

Both of these options cost $79 per person. Both include some food and drinks in the price(not sure if alchohol is available) but you can probably bring your own at your own risk. (snorkeling drunk is never recomended)...

Also on another of your days on GB, if you have enough cash, you should consider doing a Unexso dolphin adventure. One of their best options is the "OPEN OCEAN DOLPHIN EXPERIENCE".- Where you get on a motor boat(8 people on the boat) and head out to the ocean with trained dolpins leaping out of the water by your side. then into the ocean with the dolphins, you interact with them in the water for about a half hour. You can wear snorkel gear when your in the ocean with them(but you may have to bring your own or rent it from Unexso)-not sure if it is included for free- call unxeso and they will tell you. The adventure costs $199 per person. They also have cheaper options available in their private bay. But The "Open Ocean" adventure is the one you should do-Definitely the best choice. (however it's not cheap so if you are on a low budget, you probably should forget about this one)

You may also want to get a copy of the travel book "Everything You Need To Know Grand Bahama Island" It will help you make your vacation a great experience. You can find it on amazon.com or special order it at your local bookstore.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Unexso's website is- www.unexso.com

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Snorkel Trip - Grand Bahama

Thanks everyone. I have been to GBI before, and did the Dolphin Experience with my husband. It was really awesome. We are only there for two full days (3 nights) this time, and the girls I am going with want to maximize their pool and relaxation time. I tend towards the more adventurous side, but I think they want a trip with lots of girl bonding. As such, the Reef Tours trip is very likely. But, I'll throw out the other trip to them to gauge interest. Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate the help and thought you've put into your posts.