We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooters!!!!

Kentucky
4 posts
Save Topic
scooters!!!!

`This is our first time to Freeport! yeeha!

We are staying at the Island Seas Resort during spring break. What opinion does anyone have on that location and is it far from everything?

If so... I like the idea of scooters instead of a rental or the taxis, any ideas on this?

Cost and driving on the otherside of the road eh? that bad, or?

Thanks...K

Mentioned in this post
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
1,375 Reviews
Grand Bahama Island
Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scooters!!!!

Without doing to much research to help you, I will give your our experience.

I don't know where your resort is located, but we stayed at the Sheraton in Lucaya. It was far enough away from a few of the activities we wanted to do, to get out and really see the island, that we really needed a rental car.

If your only going a few miles around your resort, that is one thing. But if you expect to move around the island, you will want more than a scooter.

We traveled from Lucaya to one of the Nature Preserves where Gold Rock Beach was, and this was definitely too far for a scooter (in my mind, anyway). We also felt just shooting up to Dead Man's Reef (A.K.A. Paradise Cove) on the west end was a bit far for a scooter.

Get a good map of the island and look at the distances to some of the places you'd like to visit, then you can decide. But it is fairly spread out for the 2 activities that I listed above (and I'd highly recommend snorkeling at Paradise Cove, and a visit to Gold Rock Beach and the caves in the Nat. Preserve).

I hope this helps,

Good luck ,

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Gold Rock Beach
Gold Rock Beach
482 Reviews
Grand Bahama Island
Paradise Cove
Paradise Cove
549 Reviews
Grand Bahama Island
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scooters!!!!

Sorry Stryke, going to have to disagree with you on this one.

1TravelingLight,

You can totally cruise around all the areas of Grand Bahama Island via scooter. It just takes more time to get from place to place, since the max speed on most of the scooters is about 45mph. I have personally driven from tip to tip of the island via scooter, and everywhere in between.

Make sure you fill up the gas tank in lucaya.(and any other time you see a gas station).

Be careful as it is not recomended to drive the scooters late at night.. Also watch out for potholes in the roads. But for day trips it can be a great way of getting around. It is even more fun when you get several freinds all together cruising on their own scooters in a pack from place to place.

The island seas is about five to ten minutes by scooter from the main lucaya area.

The best place on GB, to rent scooters, for more than a day- is the guys in the front area of the port lucya marketplace parking lot. they should be the first rental place you see in the marketplace parking lot,-there will be about 20 to 60 scooters sitting in the parking lot. This is where you want to go. You can bargain with them. Explain that you want it for more than a day, also if you are renrting more than one that will also help you get a better price. They may resist at first, but be insistent and they should give in to you.

The Island Seas also sometimes rents scooters. But definitely compare what is the best price you can get in the lucaya marketplace parking lot to what the Island Seas is offering. then rent from whoever gives you the best price. Most Hotels are usually more expensive and not willing to bargain.

Before you go to the island. You should get a copy of the travel book "Everything You Need To Know Grand Bahama Island". It will help you figure out how to navigate the different areas of the island-and will have you knowing the island like a local in no-time. It also will help you make your trip an expereince you will never forget. You can find it on amazon.com or order it at your local bookstore...

Mentioned in this post
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
1,375 Reviews
Grand Bahama Island
Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scooters!!!!

IslandHopper,

Thanks for the comments. My perspective is pretty limited. Hearing that you went from tip to tip on the island on a scooter was eye-opening for me. And it actually sounds like a lot of fun.

After seeing you did it, I'll have to consider that for a day or two the next time we go down.

Thanks for the input,

Peter

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: scooters!!!!

always happy to help.

It's definitely not the most comfortable way to get around. But it can be quite an adventure...

Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scooters!!!!

What great info you both had

Thank you!

\

K

Kentucky
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scooters!!!!

one more thing... about the scooters,

any idea what seems like a fair price per day? K

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: scooters!!!!

Not sure what you should expect during spring break as prices will be inflated. But you may want to email the Grand Bahama Board of tourism and ask them what they think it might cost. Their website is- www.grand-bahama.com. There is an "email us" link on the homepage.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scooters!!!!

that's "www.grand-bahama.com"