We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf

wilmington, nc
1 post
Save Topic
golf

Will be in freeport 1-16-05 until 1-23-05. Thinking of golfing, any ideas as to where and how much? Thanks, gunner

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: golf

There are, right now, at max only three places to play. One is the semi-public, 9 hole, Fortune Hills Golf Course. I think, but am not certain, it has opened since the hurricanes. I don't play it because it's not in great shape and like playing 18 holes. The other two are the Our Lucaya courses, Reef and Lucayan Golf and Country Club (LGCC). LGCC is far and away the best course on the island, probably the best in the Bahamas, and opened about three weeks ago after hurricane damage kept it, and the Westin Our Lucaya hotels, closed since September. The other, the Our Lucaya Reef Course, is a links course that is only 5-6 years old. 13 holes have water but other than the par threes it's lateral. If you can hit the ball fairly straight it isn't in play as much as it could be. I still manage to lose plenty of balls on both courses (LGCC is jungle lined) since when we go in February each year I haven't usually hit a golf ball in three months. You can get a golf package at Our Lucaya that includes a room, all taxes and surcharges, breakfast at Willy Broadleaf's and all day greens fees (although you cannot play BOTH courses the same day). Usually you are charged for the cart if you play more than 18 holes. That package is not cheap. For two, with an ocean view rooms at Westin Breaker's Cay, were're paying $500/night this year. Last year the same deal was $400/night. An island view runs just under $/400 per night. If you are not staying at Our Lucaya you can also play the courses. LGCC cost $125 with a cart and all day greens fees last year for non-guests and Reef was some $10-15 cheaper. There are two good courses at Royal Oasis, Emerald and Ruby, but they are closed until at least April as the entire resort is shut down, possibly for good. I'd hate to see that but management at Royal Oasis really stinks and they are way behind their scheduled 1 April reopening. Hope this helps.

Danny

Get answers to your questions about Grand Bahama Island