We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

nj
11 posts
Save Topic
riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

So, despite all my "island hopping" in my lifetime this will be my first trip to the Bahamas! My husband and my 3 yr old will be coming for the ride! We were gonna do Atlantis, but I really do enjoy the all inclusive aspect,so we decided on Riu Paradise Island.I've read a lot of mixed reviews, but I guess you get that with every destination.I'm not expecting the Ritz Carlton~Just looking for calm water, some decent sun, and lots of free flowing RUM:0) Haha! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! We are going 1/14-1/19....

newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

free in room optics with rum on demand dont expect the place to be paradise and you might find the place alright i had a ok time but i guess i was looking for paradise

connecticut
Level Contributor
207 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

Go!! We were in the same boat as you with our 5 year old, RIU is perfect for a family, food is great, staff are great, good choice, beats the altantis

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

click on hotels and read the reviews.

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

My husband and I were in the same situation Feb. of 2006, but without children. We had never stayed all-inclusive before yet the Atlantis seemed to be a property not to be missed. Since we couldn't decide, we stayed two nights at the Riu and three nights at the Atlantis-Royal Towers. These two properties are not even in the same league and if budget is not an issue-then stay at the Atlantis.

I give the room 3 stars and food 2 1/2 to 3 stars at the Riu. The rooms were clean but tired. Naturally, the all inclusive alcohol is the inexpensive stuff. Beach access is great. Buffet dining was ok and the specialty restaruant was a dissapointment. Service was average to above average. Nothing really memorable about the property. BUT, I do remember sitting on our balcony at night at the Riu and wishing I was at the Atlantis. We had a good time and I feel that we got our money's worth at the Riu but it can't be compared to the Atlantis. The Riu was what we expected it to be. If you are looking for beach action and adult beverages and not worried about the atmosphere then by all means stay at the Riu.

The Atlantis is a WOW!!! It's over the top. Yes, people do post reviews stating there is no need to stay there when you can visit portions of the property but visiting is not the same as staying there and experiencing all it has to offer. Is it a little overpriced? Yes, but to us it was worth every penny. If you enjoy sea life, appreciate the work that went into designing the property , the opportunity for fine dining and superb accomodations and the budget will support it-go for the ATLANTIS. I could write a book on our time spent there-it was memorable and worth a repeat visit.

5. Re: riu paradise island....anyone been recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island