We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

West Chester...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

Arriving on Wed July 24th for 5 nights, staying at the Reef (Studio Oceanview) with wife and son (13). Some quick advice on the following:

1. Not getting the meal plan -- plan to stop for some groceries/beer/wine on way to Atlantis, since the room has a kitchenette. Any recommendations for booking a prepaid taxi and where to stop ?

2. Doing a half day at Rose Island with Sandy Toes for snorkeling, but other than that we are really hanging out and doing the water slides, etc. On-site snorkeling seemed too pricey for 60 minutes vs half the price for 5 hours. Other activities I should consider (other than dolphins/sea lions) ?

3. Planned to book dinners for the week when I check-in -- too late ? Any strategic eating advice is welcome -- I believe there is a Starbucks in the lobby, which basically covers me for breakfast.

First time to Bahamas, so any advice for the neophyte is appreciated.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

Hi WinstonWolf - Welcome to TA Bahamas!

1. You can prebook a taxi (several mentioned here on the forums) but it's not necessary - lots of great (licensed!) taxis right as you exit the airport. Check with the taxi dispatcher & agree on the price before you head out - have the cab stop at the Super Value by Sandy Port for groceries on your way to the Reef. Think $50 would cover the transfer & the wait time...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

2. LOTS of activities - do you mean just at Atlantis, or in Nassau in general?

@Atlantis - (1) walk through the fish tanks at night, not just by day - see the jelly fish glowing & the manta rays look even bigger when it's dark. (2) walk through Marina Village by night - there are often steel drummers providing live entertainment & the big white boats are all lit up, inside & out so you can check them out too! (3) enjoy your beach at the Reef - it's awesome!

@Nassau - especially with a 13 year-old - (1) the Pirate Museum (2) Fort Charlotte (dungeons & cannons) (3) a Segway Tour (4) The Junkanoo Expo Museum (since you won't be in Nassau to see the Junkanoo Parade) (4) a little shopping downtown (shark's tooth necklaces, Bahama map posters, scuba or color-changing t-shirts)

Sandy Toes is a great trip, goes to a great beach on Rose Island, but think their snorkeling is just okay because it's not from a boat, it's from the beach. For the best snorkeling I'd suggest Bahama Divers or Flying Cloud or Barefoot Sailing Cruise (5 min. drive each way to their boats from Atlantis), or Stuart Cove (50 min. drive to their boats each way from Atlantis)...

Have Fun!

Edited: 1:19 pm, July 22, 2013
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

3. Dinners - some places may be booked out.

With a teenager I'd recommend Johnny Rockets (even if not Bahamian at all!) & "Marketplace" (no rez required) which is an awe$ome buffet, especially the chocolate fountain & stir-fry stations :) & for all of you - the Poop Deck East (over a marina, great boat/harbour/Atlantis views & great food besides...!)

West Chester...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

Thanks Sailexuma ! A couple of follow-ups:

With snorkeling, was thinking that the further out you go via boat is more made for scuba rather than shallow water snorkeling, but I'm no expert. Plus, we're only doing a half-day - I will check to see if your recommendations have half-day excursions.

As to dining, I am told much of the casual dining in Atlantis does not allow reservations. How impossible is it to dine at some of these that you mentioned (plus Mosaic, Bimini, etc) -- I would imagine the waits are probably over an hour ?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

Hi WinstonWolf - Actually, the snorkeling in The Bahamas doesn't work the way you are describing at all... :)

If I'm understanding it correctly - for the mountainous Caribbean islands (e.g. the USVIs) the water drops off/keeps getting deeper and deeper offshore; instead in The Bahamas there are areas like that where there is deep ocean nearby and there are also lots of areas where it stays 20' or less for miles & miles... "Bahamas" comes from the Spanish "Baja Mar" - which means shallow seas...!

So - to make a long explanation short (LOL) - scuba boats & snorkel boats out of Nassau could go where it's deep, or where it's shallow. I suggest to ask a few key questions before you book a trip (1) how deep (max!) will the water be where we'll snorkel? 15' or less would be my choice. (2) how long will we be in the water (making 2 stops sounds good, but if it means 2 x 20 min. snorkels vs a 1 stop trip with 1 hour of snorkeling, well.... (3) how many ppl are on the boat... (self-explanatory!)... (4) how nice is the boat (again, self-explanatory!!! look at some pics...)

I'd think a 1/2 day trip will get you an hour or so of snorkeling, and a full day trip will get you twice that...

Happy Snorkeling!

Edited: 3:57 pm, July 23, 2013
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

Oops - forgot to say - I believe the only Atlantis "casual dining" restaurants that take rez are Carmine's & Virgil's... Went to Bimini Road the beginning of this month and waited 20 mins. In Feb. we waited 40 mins. at Johnny Rockets. So you never know.

If it's too much waiting - eat off-site! Poop Deck, East Villa, Seafront Sushi, Green Parrot Hurricane Hole., Sr. Frogs...

Have a GREAT trip!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

I've been on the Stuart Cove

snorkel excursion twice but

prefer the Flying Cloud catamaran

sailboat snorkel excursion to

Rose Island.I have been on

the F.C. trip five times, I like

it that much.

The F.C. excursion takes you

over a reef that is much shallower

than the reefs on S.C.. The water

at the Stuart Cove sites is deep,

around 20 feet or so.

With the tops of the coral only 6 feet

from the surface, the F.C. trip makes

it easier to dive down among the

gorgeous coral and many

fish species. Also, the sailboat ride

out and back is very quiet and relaxing.

They also will pick you up at your hotel.

The trip is $70. Their website is:

www.flyingcloud.info

You can make free reservations

via e-mail by visiting their website

for the address.

8. Re: First time to Atlantis -prepaid taxi, & other sundry advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 25, 2014