We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food budget for family of 4?

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Food budget for family of 4?

I've heard the prices for food can be crazy, so I'm trying to get an idea of cost so we can budget accordingly.

We'd be staying for 7 days, 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 11).

Breakfast - nothing fancy, happy with a croissant, doughnut, muffin, etc. Juice and coffee.

Lunch - again nothing fancy, sandwiches, pizza, burgers, etc.

Dinner - kids are not big on fancy dinners, so mostly casual. Maybe a buffet meal (although I've seen some of the prices, yowza) and or a BBQ meal (I've heard this mentioned a few times as something that's available).

Drinks - yes, DH and I like the odd drink or two (or maybe three) throughout the day.

With the above stated, realistically how much should we plan to budget?

Thanks again for any input!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

Hi Twolittlebirds!

Am no good at the overall pricing thing, but have a little input...

Yowza is right LOL the buffets at Atlantis are not a bargain (Sea Grapes, Marketplace, Mosaic) as I think the cheapest one is $50+ tax, so would say do that only if you want a 'wow' spread & to impress the kids with the desserts & chocolate fountain :)

If you'll be at Harborside or Reef, presumably with a fridge, would you consider getting some fixings for breakfasts & lunches, as well as drinks to bring along (in the rolling cooler you bring from home) for your days by the pools? That will be a $avings...

By the Atlantis pools I think they have some family 'specials' but you could figure on $10+pp for lunch, and easily spend 2x that if you try...

One or two nights you could even order in e.g. Domino's for pizza, or Double Dragon for Chinese...

Hope this helps!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

Riu all inclusive right next door (10 min walk to Atlantis main)

ALL INCLUSIVE FOOD! Buffets amazing! all you can eat! as are bar drinks! rooms upgraded with fantastic ocean views! fully loaded fridge with FREE bottled water, soda and beer- refilled daily, plus Wall Bar with 4- bottles of booze! refilled any time you want ?¿?

day pass for Atlantis pools from Riu= the cost of ONE dinner there ¿?¿

YoU Save BIGTIME! and all other amentities FREE after 6PM! at Atlantis

(not pools)

no brainer.... ¿ really ?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

forgot to mention the BBQ on pool deck with chicken and steak, on top of the buffet food, there is also themed nights with seafood, etc and all carte restaurants if you choose.....

Top Quality dining......all included in your stay....THAT is why we are going back our 5th Year at Riu PI :-)

Live life to the fullest! on vacation! why eat pizza and burgers when you can dine like 007! did I mention the martini's there are fantastic! :-) and yea---FREE!

Edited: 9:40 am, July 24, 2013
4. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, August 02, 2013
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

Lots of great suggestions from Eric S :)

The thing to consider, though, is if you don't get a rental car (which can be a great savings & offer lots of freedom, if you don't mind driving on the left!) is that you're going to spend $20+ each way to get to a lot of diff retaurants by taxi - as much to get there by taxi as you'd maybe save by eating somewhere more expensive that's walkable...

I STILL recommend the rental car or doing taxis and trying lots of different places :) so you can experience more of Nassau than just a resort atmosphere, and also try some great Bahamian food!

TwoLittleBirds - where are you staying? assume it's P.I. since that's where you posted :)

Edited: 1:18 pm, July 24, 2013
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

Moontan - you're making me hungry! How many more days?!?

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

DANG! I can't believe I didn't mention it was Atlantis.

RIU is not an option for us, as we haven't been before and I know my kids will want to go to the waterpark/activities everyday.

So are there any tips / suggestions for Atlantis and how to budget appropriately?

Thanks!

The Great US
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

I was on Paradise Island the first f July and stayed at Atlantis for 2 days and in Nassau for 5 days . Therewhere 2 kids and 2 adults. All meals are very expensive as is water and soft drinks. Water was $5 and $8 for large. I would budget $200 per day. You may come in a bit under that and can certainly far exceed that. We ate at Virgil's one evening for $160 with a couple of cocktails. Hope this helps

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,669 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

We bring our breakfast from home (breakfast bars, individually wrapped muffins, danish, etc.). Saves money and time in the morning. Lunches we get by the pools (they have some meal deals with refillable sodas, some places have the big pretzels which make a nice lunch). In the marina you'll find a Johnny Rockets, Quiznos, Murrays (like a diner), Bimini Road a pizza place - all fairly reasonable compared to the other restaurants. Across from the marina is Anthony's Restaurant (pretty good and prices not too bad). We also bring some small snacks for by the pool (little packs of pretzels, chips, etc.).

Level Contributor
394 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food budget for family of 4?

Where are you staying? We're staying in a timeshare resort with a full kitchen (and 3 teens!), and we're bringing a cooler full of frozen food (with dry foods packed in our duffel bags) to save on eating out. We're planning to eat most breakfasts in our room and about half our lunches and dinners. If you can get a room with at least a microwave and mini fridge, you can save money by making some of your own meals.