We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harborside/food questions

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Harborside/food questions

Apologies in advance if this was posted twice...I posted this am and then noticed it wasn't on the board so I might not have hit submit the first time :-)

We are going to Harborside/Atlantis April 13-20th.

I would like to bring some food with me such as frozen pasta sauce with meatballs and cooked frozen chicken...things of that sort in my checked luggage in a cooler bag. Is this allowed? what are some food ideas we are NOT allowed to bring into the Bahamas.

I noticed check in time is 4pm...our flight lands at 11:20am...what is your experience with getting the room a bit earlier...I was hoping the sooner, the better since we have an 18 month old with us. Are they very strict with check in times or if the room is ready earlier, you can get it?

I don't really want to schlep the car seats for both kids with us (booster seat and toddler car seat)...is it better to arrange for a taxi service in advance and would they supply a car seat or do you just sit your little one on your lap? that actually scares me, but with the luggage and stroller, do I really want to bring a car seat and then have to install it in a cab?

Since we are staying at Harborside and cooking most of our food, is there anything that you recommend we bring...paper towel, dish cloth? I guess I don't really know what is provided in the kitchen.

thanks!!!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harborside/food questions

Generally speaking, home made meals (like pasta sauce and meatballs or stews and cooked chicken0 are NOT allowed, since all meats need to have a USDA seal on the package. Some agents may let you thru, others may not. You can bring uncooked meats in the original store package with USDA seal attached.

You may not bring in fresh fruits and veggies, unprocessed foods, and anything that can carry spores, mold, mildew or larvae. This includes fresh breads and bagels as well as dairy products (including bulk cheese) that are not in the manufactures sealed containers.

As for a taxi with carseats.. some have them if you book in advance. www.sandrastaxibahamas.com has carseats upon request.

Edited: 3:53 pm, March 25, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harborside/food questions

Early check-in is hit or miss. You might get lucky, but don't plan on it. Because its a timeshare, and its often filled to capacity, they're fewer units for front-desk agents to work with. I think rooms haven't been ready on-time a few times.

We've always brought car seats with us...not so much for the safety, but for the familiar confinement on the plane. Did you buy a seat ?

Ocean View, Delaware
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harborside/food questions

I have to say that I haven't gotten in before 4 in the last few years--but you can get your wristbands and walk around==we always bring snacks for our grandchildren to have ===if you can't get in your room take the shuttle to the main hotel and walk through the dig and get your orientation of the resort and where you want to hang out--with an 18 month old I would suggest hanging out at the Splashers pool which is behind the Mayan Temple.

I do bring little fruit cups for my little ones as well as any other individually wrapped snacks. I also bring Crystal light to make lemonade and iced tea as we aren't soda drinkers. Plus coffee.

I would suggest making arrangements with Sandra for car seats--the drive can take up to 45 minutes with traffic and since little ones are used to car seats they don't tolerate the ride as well without them..

Columbus,OH
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harborside/food questions

Check in time usually close to 4:00. Fergies taxi (Sandra) is great and has car seats if you advise her.

We have never had a problem bringing food. We freeze anything we can and put it in a zipper rolling cooler with our other checked luggage. It has come in handy to bring home things we buy or we just pack it in our luggage to bring home.

Things we bring: Frozen bacon, spagetti sauce, shrimp, sausage gravy, cheeses hor dogs, homemade meatloaf. Other cooler things such as luncheon meats, ketsup, mustard, mayo,

instant mashed potatoes, boxed macaroni and cheese, coney sauce , cereal etc. We also put things in our luggage like pancake mix, napkins, foil, plastic bags. Make sure absolutely everything is in its own plastic zip top bag in the cooler or the luggage.

Columbus,OH
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harborside/food questions

Also remember you do not have an oven although you do have a microwave and stove, dishhwasher and refrig.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Harborside/food questions

thanks everyone! much appreciated!

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harborside/food questions

I have been many times and do not recall anyone with car seats in the airport. I guess they just go without in regard to the taxi. Plenty of taxis are available as you exit the airport. The rate is a standard non-negotiable fare. Pre-arranging one may cost you more as it may be a limo. Besides one on the island you will be taking shuttles everywhere. I have never seen a car seat on a shuttle. With regard to food. Don't worry. Bahamians fly to the US and load up coolers with food bought at Costco to bring home. The coolers are checked in as luggage. I've taken cream cheese, bagels, cereal, and snacks in the past. I would not recommend being so obvious. I'd pack food in shoeboxes placed inside a suitcase. Once I sat next to a young woman flying to Miami carrying tupperware filled with homemade chicken soup on her laps. It was a Spirit Airlines flight. Take the food, leave the car seats. Don't forget to pack sunblock. It is very expensive over there. BTW, there is a liquor store in the mall next to the marina. It is a great place to load up on beer, wine and liquor. It is not worth paying the taxi driver to stop in the downtown area. Given that a beer is $9 by the pool, it is something to consider.

If your room is not ready there are transit lounges available with lockers and showers. Pack swimsuits in your carryon and put sunblock in an easily accessible place in your suitcase. Change in the transit lounge, lock your carryon in the locker and you can be poolside half hour after checkin.

virginia
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harborside/food questions

The bottom line is - there are things that are illegal and there are things people have gotten away with.

The rule is no fresh fruits or veggies and nothing that can have mold, spores or larvae, including fresh bagels and bulk cheeses. ALL meats must have USDA seals, and no premade foods like soups, meatloaf or lasgna.

If some have gotten away with it - that's on them. They broke the law.

You take the risk of having your food items confiscated and thrown away. Believe me, you can get everything you need in nassau. Prepackaged snacks are about all I'd recommend.

I've wintered on Paradise Island for more than a dozen years and travel back and forth all the time. The things I've seen thrown away are maddening. But the law is the law.

9. Re: Harborside/food questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 31, 2014