We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants outside of atlantis

new england
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants outside of atlantis

any good seafood restaurants outside of atlantis complex?

should we take a taxi to supermarket and liquor store, if so, are prices posted in cab or do you haggle?

any ideas around pre booking/paying excursions,trips?

is there an underwater minisub?

We are going in October (with hurricane insurance!)staying at harborside with our sons and wives, one in 30's, one in 20's.any help/info would be great.we stayed at atlantis before but a long time ago.thanks

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

Blue Lagoon at Club Land d'or is known for it's seafood, a bit upscales, but divine. The Poop Deck across the bridge in Nassau (very easy) is more casual and located on the marina.

There's a liquor store nearby, and a small grocery store in the Hurricane Hole plaza.. if you need a larger variety.. Harbourside provides a shopping van for a small fee.

Cab fares are posted (union) fares, but you and your driver should agree on a fare before you get in.. some try and get a gas surcharge.

Here's a link to the current fares.

bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Nassau_Taxi_Fa…

As for exursions.. there are many, most can be booked a day or two in advance. Dolphin encounter and swim fill up months in advance.. and powerboatadventure sometimes a week in advance.

October shouldn' t be a problem.. but since it's off season, some tours may not go out every day.

Here's a link to your tour desk.

www.majesticholidays.com

In the Cays
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

October is a great time to be in the Bahamas - the weather (hurricane possibilities aside) is beautiful - the best light, the water very warm but the nights start to become cooler - slightly.

Just to add to Scubagirrl's great suggestions is Anthony's Caribbean Grill just across from Comfort Suites and Atlantis Coral and Beach Towers has good seafood choices also. The Fish Fry at Arawak Cay is the best for local seafood.

Check-out Stuart Coves Aqua Adventures www.stuartcove.com for the individual mini-sub and other fun water excursions.

Pre-booking everything is a good idea. Why not, you know your dates and if you see something you know you want to do it's a good idea. Both Dolphin Encounters and Powerboat or Island World should definitley have spaces open right now for October.

www.powerboatadventures.com, www.islandworldadventures.com, www.dolphinencounters.com

You can pre-book online.

Have a great trip!!!

new england
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

thankyou for taking the time to help, I am looking up the sites now.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

Also note that Powerboat Adventures gives a discount for pre-booking online....Sea Island Adventures also does this. Julie

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

I beg to differ on the weather there in October. I just got back from P.I. and asked the locals about Oct. weather there. They all agreed that Oct. is a rainy humid month with showers daily. In fact, Frommers 2005 Bahamas states that ave. rainfall in Oct is 8.3 in. second only to June with 9.2 in.. I was considering a trip in Oct but may reconsider to Nov. since ave. rainfall is down to 2.3 in. then. But the sea temp. does start to drop off.

New York, New York
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

The Columbus Tavern is another excellent restaurant on Paradise Island. It's on the opposite side of Paradise Island by the Ocean Club Golf Course. When I stayed at Atlantis, we actually took the free shuttle and asked if they could drop us off at the restaurant. The shuttle driver dropped us off at the entrance which is just up the short hill from the restaurant. Otherwsie, it's about an 8$ taxi ride from Atlantis.

Their seafood is delicious and they have a wonderful Steak Diane dish which is prepared flaming tableside. Withe respect to one of the native deserts called Guava Duff, this restaurant served it the tastiest in our opinion. Their staff is really friendly. I would recommend making a reservation and asking for a table right by the open air windows to have a closer view of the breath taking waterfront. Youc an check out their menu on their website at http://www.columbustavernbahamas.com. We go at least once a year to Nassau and this is defintely our number restaurant pick!

Our second would be The Poop Deck at SandyPort. But that restaurant is on the west end of the island by the airport. You could always eat there either on your way to Paradise Island when you land or on your way out towards the airport. They also have a website at http://www.thepoopdeckrestaurants.com.

Lastly, Sun And is very good too with a friendly staff.

p.s. if you want to go to where I think is the most beautiful spot on the beach on Paradise Island (although a bit of a walk, maybe about 15 minutes), I recommend once you get onto the beach at Atlantis, start walking all the way to the other end of the island (you will pass the One & Only) and you will hit an alcove of sorts. It's beautiful!

- Barbara from NYC

Louisville, Ky
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

Barbara,

Can you give us an idea on how much the Columbus Tavern is on prices? Thanks!

New York, New York
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

Hi again,

Most entres start at high teens through mid 20s, like their pasta dishes, poultry & lamb.

There are a few dishes in the 30s and those would be the lobster and prime steaks and combinations. They always offer a fresh catch of the day which would be market price (usually mid 30s if I remember correctly for the whole fish which is great for sharing. Also, they will prepare it anyway you like it. I.e. hog snapper, yellowtail, red snapper.)

A few of our favorites are the garlic grouper, grouper new providence & steak Diane (NY strip)

Hope that helps. The owner's name is Fredderick Lightbourn and he is actually a Native to Nassau & gets all his fish fresh from the waters of the Bahamas.

9. Re: restaurants outside of atlantis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, August 12, 2009