We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about jellyfish

Mentor, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
question about jellyfish

I've read that as the ocean gets warmer, the jellyfish move closer to the shore. For those that have been to Atlantis in the past, have jellyfish been a problem? We are going in mid August and I'm really hoping that the ocean isn't infested with jellyfish.

Does the lagoon get more jellyfish that the regular beaches do? Also, for those that have seen them, are they just all over or just kind of scattered and are they easy to spot in the water?

Thanks.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: question about jellyfish

Don't know about Nassau, but we've been here on Long Island now for 3 months, swimming a couple of times a week, and haven't even seen a jellyfish.

laguna beach
Level Contributor
14 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about jellyfish

it's been a few years since we stayed at paradise island beach club (down the beach) in september and we did come upon nimble jellies, small and hard to spot until they are right around you. you just move to another area... i have never been stung. that is my experience. have fun!

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about jellyfish

I was stung at the Cove Beach. It hurts but like a bee sting No big deal

Lifeguard assured me it wasn't a poisonous type

Only stung the onceinmany trips

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: question about jellyfish

I was stung by a Portuguese Man o' War on a dive in the Sea of Cortez a few years ago. It got both me and my wife. That was seriously nasty. Really the most painful thing I think I've ever experienced.

By the way, if a jellyfish can sting, it's poisonous. It stings by nematocysts firing on contact with your skin. That's how it feeds, by paralyzing creatures smaller than itself, then drawing them up inside. Some species just have a more powerful toxin than others, and some people are more reactive to the sting.

New York
Level Contributor
192 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about jellyfish

We have been to the atlantis several times early July & have never seen them or had a problem being stung when swimming.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about jellyfish

I'm also curious about the jelly situation...specifically in Aug along paradise island. Either way we are booked so were still going just good to know what to expect not only for ourselves but my 8 y.o :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: question about jellyfish

Read this thread with a family stung by jellyfish on Paradise island in August:

tripadvisor.com/…32809693

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: question about jellyfish

We just got back from a six-day trip to Atlantis. We spent several hours each day on the beach. The water was amazing, but several of the people in our group (including my nine-year-old daughter) got stung a couple of times. I was in the water quite a bit each day and saw several jellyfish, but I was never stung myself. This is probably because I wore a long-sleeve swim shirt and board shorts, and thus had less skin exposed. According to those who did get stung, it was more like a lingering pinch than a sharp pain. That said, it did create some anxiety that resulted in us spending less time at the beach. The jellyfish I saw were very small, about the size of a half-dollar, with a two lines across the back (it reminded me of the Bayer logo). I did ask one of the bartenders at the beach bar and he said jellyfish tend to come ashore in late July / August. Overall, I'd say they're nothing too serious...more of an annoyance than anything else.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about jellyfish

We experienced a few stings of the illusive jellies at only Paradise beach from Aug 27 ~30th. As soon as our family got into the water were grabbing at our arms and legs, felt like a quick little bee sting, but no reactions. As we looked around we noticed others were being stung too. Strange though that we actually never seen any with our own eyes, just felt them. I then spoke with a gentleman over at Cove beach the next day and he said apparently over 100 people were stung that day. It did not keep us out of the water, we all enjoyed ourselves over at Cove beach and did lots of snorkling:) No stings for us there:)

10. Re: question about jellyfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 02, 2013