We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bartering on the beach

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bartering on the beach

Can anyone give suggestions on prices for activities on the beach that you might barter for? For example, parasailing, hair braiding, etc.? I know they usually ask for a higher price than they will actually end up taking.

scarboROUGH...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bartering on the beach

if you want to use the jet skis, the prices go down later on in the evening. morning is most expensive

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bartering on the beach

Parasailing was $50. We tried to get a deal since my friend and I were going together and they were pretty adamant about the $50/person. If you go up as a double you do get more time though.

Ashburn, VA
Level Contributor
590 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bartering on the beach

Are you at Paradise Island or Cable Beach? On Cable Beach (at the Wyndham/Radisson), I made a deal with the 'providers' when I got there for $200 and my 2 kids (16 and 18) went four times each for 1/2 hour each. The regular rate is more like $50/hr, so just do your best.

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bartering on the beach

We will be at Atlantis. Not sure what activities we will be doing, if any. I'm guessing my girls will want their hair braided, if that is available. It was helpful when we went to Jamaica to have a ballpark of how much to pay.

Northwest...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bartering on the beach

I would also like to get my girls hair braided, I know there are ladies that do this on the beach. Maybe if we get both girls hair done the same time we will get a better price! Any idea how much it would cost? How much should we offer? I know you can barter with the price, but I am wondering what is the going rate.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bartering on the beach

roger---ummmmmmmm---forgive me if i am wrong, but 2 kids, 1/2 hr each, 4 times each---isn't that a total of 2 hrs? and doesn't $200 for that the same as $50 an hour?

excuse me for saying so, but that is not much of a deal, unless i am mistaken.....

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bartering on the beach

duh.....oh wait....never mind.....sorry...

:)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bartering on the beach

we bartered for hair braiding. It was a cool windy day and we were the only people in sight on the beach.We went from 50.00 each for the front of the hair to 50.00 for both. We did give the 2 women who actually did the braiding ten dollars each extra.

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bartering on the beach

Thanks! I think I'll ask parents at Atlantis that have already had their girls braided to get an idea of what they paid. We usually do it a day or two before we leave anwyay so that their scalp doesn't get sunburned.

Guelph
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bartering on the beach

Definintely barter for hair braiding. When I approached the ladies on the beach they said they would do half my daughters hair for $70. I told them that was too much and they asked me how much I was willing to pay. I had been farther down the beach the previous day and one lady told me she would do it for $2 a braid so I had in my mind how much it would cost. I told them I was willing to pay $25 and they agreed but told me to stay quiet as others approach for braiding. being at the Atlantis they start high thinking everyone has money to spend. Barter for everything. You can also get your hair braided downtown but I am not sure how much they charged.