We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

We're going in June, okay, which dolphin excursion is better with two children 8 and 10: "encounter or swim" 165.00 or 85.00 each $$$$$ difference is about 80.00+ to get footpushed by the dolphins...I wonder if it is worth it? If anyone has been here or done that, can you please give me some good tips....Please advise.....Thank you!! How 'bout snorkeling with kids on a different island too, with lunch included...Anyone??

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Can't make that decision for you.. some think the foot push is "all that" some don't. Only you know your kids. One of my son's was thrilled at the foot push, the other.. couldn't care less.

As for other tour.. One of my favorites is the Sea Island Adventure to Rose Island (www.seaislandadventure.com).

I'd invest in some inexpensive masks and snorkels for your kids.. The ones on most of these trips are either ill fitting or non-exixtent for kids.

Flying Cloud has a Sunday lunch to the same island. Nice tour on a 40' catamaran.

new jersey
Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Scubagirl, we are returning this June after our first trip to Comfort suites/atlantis last June. We want to take a boat trip but not sure if the dolphin encounter is for us, a little expensive. we would love to see and experience a little more of the bahamas than just atlantis' pools. Any suggestions. Thanks, you are always such a help.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Gosh.. there's sooo much to see. For a simple day at a private island beach with lunch, try Sea Island Adventure (www.seaislandadventures.com

For something more cultural, take the Fast ferry to Harbout Island for the day and see how the "real bahamas" feels. Quaint villages, pristine beaches, quiet demeanor, no cars and great food.

Check out www.bahamasferries.com, or look at the majestic website for overnite stays.

www.majesticholidays.com

Nassau and Paradise Island have very little "bahamian" feel. Nassau is a crowded city, and Paradise Island feels like you never left home.

Try Harbour Island or Northern Eleuthera for your first taste of Paradise, you'll never go back to PI again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

I just came back from Atlantis last week and went to the Dolphin Encounter on our last day. I was going to only do the "platform" until I saw the excitement of the swim. We hugged and danced with "MacGeyvor" the dolphin and he did a torpedo jump over us. It was amazing. We had a six year old in our group who also did the foot push. It was well worth it. The staff there was excellent. Highly recommend the "swim". Videos and photos are taken to purchase. Bring a waterproof camera.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Thank you so much for your info! Much appreciated....

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Glad to hear your dolphin review! The "full" experience was sold out for most of April so we can only do the platform, but maybe we can upgrade when we get there.

Houston ,Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

I tried to book the full swim the first week of January for when we will be down there the 2nd week of March and it was already booked up. Kinda agravating but I guess we will do another time.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

Don't give up.. give them a call when you arrive, they sometimes have cancellations.

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

It seems like I read somewhere that you can often upgrade when you get there. Do you think they "save" the encounter swim for cruise ship folks? Even though I know this is a busy time of year, I found it rather amazing that they were booked up for each trip for ALL of April! Maybe they hold those other spots for the cruisers ....

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scubagirl/or anyone regarding dolphin excursions

The Swim usually books up at least 3 months in advance during high season. Encounter is booked solid a month or so in advance during peak times. Some spots open with cancellations, but the ships only have a few slots and sell out as well.

This has become a VERY popular trip.

Check directly with Dolphin Encounter as time gets closer or upon your arrival.