We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

My husband and I just got back from a trip to PI (we left our 1 year old at home with grandma). The best weather was the night we got there and the rest of our trip was during the coldest weather of the season so far. Most of our cab drivers said that the weather was unusually cold. I booked our room at Harborside on Expedia, even though I am an owner there in a different season. We had a one bedroom deluxe. We didn't cook, but we went to the city market for to pick up juice, soda, and stuff for breakfast and sandwiches at lunch. We ate out for dinner every night. Bimini Road had good music and food, I was a little disappointed in our meal at Villa dEste (not much flavor). Seafire steakhouse was good, but for the price we can get a much better steak here in KC. We also went into Senor Frogs for dinner one night and really enjoyed the fun atmosphere. I like Atlas Grill for lunch. We also went to the Green Parrot for a few Happy Hour drinks, I think it would really be a fun place to go when the weather is nice (it was 60 and windy).

On our last day there it was finally sunny enough for the "northerners" to hit the beach and the pools for a while. There were mostly kids in the pools and only a few of us out in the waves at the beach. We also snorkeled with Stuart Cove that day. We needed the wetsuits, a shorty was fine for me (I grew up in Minnesota), but most people went with full suits. The first reef had lots of fish and some very nice corals. The second site was a Cessna wreck, I didn't find that site overly interesting, and the reef wasn't as nice. The third site was the sharks. It was incredible and well worth the price of the trip alone. There where about 30 sharks swimming around and it was quite a rush being so close to them. The only problem with Stuart Cove was that it is a very long bus trip there. It's about a half hour past the airport. If you don't want to swim with the sharks you may not want to waste the time traveling from PI, their are plenty of closer places to snorkel. Although I was disappointed with the weather (only a day and a half of sun), it was a good relaxing trip. I can't imagine staying anywhere other than Harborside when I go to PI, but next time I'll probably go when I know the weather will be warmer. I can't wait to bring my daughter when she is a little older and can do the kids club.

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

We booked two different excursions with Stuart Cove (Snorkling and I call it the underwater motorcycles). I have 3 teen age boys. Do you think they will enjoy these excursions or should we change our plans and do the Speedboat excursion?

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

We saw others doing the minisubs (scooters). We were both at one of the sites at the same time. There were alot more people on that boat and it looked like they took people down in two seperate groups due to the limited number of subs. I think they only went to the one site but I'm not sure. The best part of the snorkeling was the sharks. The two stuart cove expeditions may feel like a bit of repetition, but if you love the idea of spending the whole day in the water then you'll probably enjoy yourselves. On the other hand, Powerboat adventures is a whole day excursion that doesn't focus on snorkeling. We only spent about half an hour in the water snorkeling (since we love to snorkel, we also booked a different snorkel trip through the resort). We got to feed stingrays, sharks, and lizards. They fed us a great meal and free drinks. I would normally do Powerboat on any trip to the bahamas, but this time we were only there a few days so decided that a half day excursion would be better. Both options are good, but your teens would probably like Powerboat better unless they are huge snorkeling fans.

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

Stuart Cove's place is on the other side of the island so that you don't spend so much time on the boat getting to sites. Anyone who's been to Maui, going to Molokini from Maalea harbor knows that boats travel much slower than cars (even in Bahama's traffic!).

I personally thought it was worth the trip across the island to spend only 10-15 minutes getting to dive/snorkel sites. Not saying it's not a long drive, but thought it was a good trip! Cheers.

Kokomo indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

Did they have daily towel service and room cleaning at Harborside?

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

Not unless you're willing to pay extra for it. They come in mid-week, which is included, but if you want daily cleaning, it's extra.

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

If you book harborside like a hotel (either through the resort or on expedia), they treat you like you are in a hotel not a timeshare. The rooms where cleaned and new towels were provided every day. If you book as a timeshare, they clean once a week unless you pay more.

Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

Re: Seagrapes

Just read an unfavorable review of Seagrapes buffet... Any comments from anyone who has eaten there? Thanks.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

hello,

we are goint to harborside in June with are children, ages 8 and 11. Any tips you can give us regarding which room? We have a one bedroom premium villa booked. Any advice you can give us, please do!! Should we stop at a grocery store after we leave the airport?

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Harborside, any ?s

conjul36,

The premium room will be great for your family. You will have a couple of options for groceries. Harborside provides a shuttle every morning for $7 a person to go to the City Market. I think they are there for an hour. That is probably the easiest if you aren't shopping with the kids. If you have to bring the kids with you, just take a cab and ask them to wait. Try to bring snacks, mac-n-cheese, etc. from home if you can. It will save you some money.