We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about travelling to Bahamas with 1.5 year old...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about travelling to Bahamas with 1.5 year old...

We are going in October...

1st...is it warm enough for the beach there in October?

2nd...any advice on activities appropriate for families with a 1.5 year old.

We are going on 17-22 of October, staying in the Harborside Villas at Atlantis.

ANY info for me is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

U.S.
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about travelling to Bahamas with 1.5 year old...

Hi Finleysmom! I would think it is fairly warm there all the time. Check www.weather.com.

First of all, be sure to take a stroller (in the unlikely event you were planning not to). Atlantis is HUGE and you do not want to lug a baby around the whole place.

There are not a ton of activities for a child that age. My best find was the kiddie pool on the far, Royal Towers end of the property. It is on the back side of the same structure that houses the big slides and water attractions. It is an outstanding kiddie pool, very big, with wade in features and little slides. This is, comparatively speaking, a very quiet and uncrowded area which I found very pleasant after making my way through the bigger, very crowded pools. It is close to the bigger attractions if you have older kids or kids at heart who would like to try them.

If your child will sit in a float, by all means bring it. We took my daughter's blow up ring float which she really enjoyed both in the pool and in the ocean. The ocean does not have a big current or waves like one normally associates with the ocean, and she floated around for hours on end. Bring lots of sunscreen and a hat for your baby. The sun is intense. Do not be shy about scouting for and/or asking the pool or beach attendant to find you a chair with a shade for your baby. They will do it cheerfully, tho a little extra tip might not hurt.

There are countless aquariums around the property which your child should enjoy looking at, along with many sculptures and other art that is very stimulating to a young eye.

My only other advice, which I cannot stress enough, is to make your dinner reservations either before you get there or the minute you get there (at guest services). I found it unbelievable the way the restaurants book up - they obviously need more restaurants. You do not want to spend hours waiting with a little one at the few places that do not take reservations.

Check the daily activity calendars. They did have some parent and tot activities, possibly with a charge, but I did not explore those myself.

Have a great time!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about travelling to Bahamas with 1.5 year old...

Thanks Candigirl!

I didn't even think about a float...I will have to order one. All of our stores here are out of them. Great idea!

I will for sure be bringing a stroller. :)

Our daughter loves animals and water, so I think we are going to be just fine.

I appreciate your help!