We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal Plan at Atlantis?

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Meal Plan at Atlantis?

What is the meal plan like at Atlantis? Is it worth getting for 5 people-2adults, one senior citizen, and an 18 and 19 year old?Is it better to go into Nassau to eat, and what is the best mode of transportation?

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal Plan at Atlantis?

My wife and I have gone to the Bahamas for the last 16 years,

only stayed at the Atlantis once, but stayed next door at the Sheraton for last 10 years. We have seen the Atlantis menus, very expensive. We find we can save several hundred dollars by NOT going all inclusive. There are several very nice restaurants within a 2 block walk from the Atlantis and an Outback on the otherside of the Paradise Island Bridge [$5.00 taxie ride each way} Otherwise you can venture in to Nassau for more of a sellection. By all means try Cafe Kalick in Cable Beach, well worth the taxie ride, Great food, Great service, most dinners under $25. Back on Paradise Island - for breakfast we suggest you walk 2 blocks to a hotel called Club land/or, go in the lobby and up the stairs to 3rd floor, to their restaurant [Blue Lagoon} most breakfasts under $4.95

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal Plan at Atlantis?

There are two meal plans. The gourmet plan allows you to use the more expensive and upscale venues. A couple of them only given an "allowance" toward your meal, you pay the balance. Drinks and tips are not included. These items will show up at checkout. If you choose this option, you must take the plan for all those in your party, and for every nite of your stay.

Unless you are looking to overeat every nite, I really don't recommend this meal plans. If you are into "dining" every nite, then I guess this would do.

The Moderate Plan is mainly for the buffets and deli's. I really think you can do a lot better by eating off the premises.

There are tons of good places for breakfast, lunch and dinner outside the property.

On Paradise Island you have Anthony's across the street, Zio Gigi's down the block and Blue Lagoon and Club Land'or,

Over the bridge you have the Poop Deck, Montegue Gardens and Friday Soon Come, as well as Double Dragon Chinese and Dominos Pizza (they deliver). Downtown Nassau there casual dining at Conch Fritters and a very nice dining experience at Cafe Matisse.

For authentic bahamian food, head to the Fish Fry at Arawak Cay.

Your options are endless if you choose NOT to take the meal plan.

ct
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal Plan at Atlantis?

I would definately not do the meal plans at $87 per day per adult and $45 for children under 12 for the gourmet plan and $57 for adults and $28 for children. This DOES NOT include the 15% gratuity, or soda, juice, or cocktails you may purchase. AND it is only good for breakfast and dinner. So if you think you can eat that much in 2 meals then go for it, but you have to book the gourmet meal plan at least 2 weeks prior to going.

We just got back last week, and it says on their website you have to have the plan for your extended stay but a couple of couples that were there with us were able to get the plan for 3 days of their time, while the other was able to get it for 5 days. The people checking us in offered us the 3, 5, or 7 day meal plan but we weren't doing it because we can't eat that much in food, and it was well worth not doing it for us.

We ate a couple times at the buffets for breakfast, $18.50 adults at the one in Coral Towers (Water's Edge I believe is the name) and at Marketplace in the Royal Towers $21 (though Sunday's is $27.50) plus don't forget the 15% they always add in there. They were both pretty good. The rest of the time we went across the street to News Cafe and had a egg sandwich and coffee (with refills) for under $20 for the both of us. Choosy's Cafe is right next door but I don't suggest eating there because they are so rude and the owner (or who I believe is the owner) at News Cafe is very nice and hospitable.

Dinner will be expensive, even at the buffets so be prepared. My suggestion is like Scubagirrl (who might I add has wonderful recommendations!) is to eat at other restaurants outside of Atlantis, there are some even right across the street, Anthony's we preferred. But you might have a little of a wait to get seated. From the Coral Towers the plaza is a closer walk than going over to the Royal Towers anyway....lol.

Hope some of this helps! Enjoy your vacation!

Dublin
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal Plan at Atlantis?

Just got back and the queues for places on the cheaper meal plan were horrendous, could not be worth wasting an hour of your time in morning and evening queuing! Also to note if you go for the gourmet meal plan the 15% tip is calculated from what the meal would have cost if you were paying full price!