We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

North Branford
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

Will be visiting the Island January 8th week. What is the ocean water temp and daily night/day weather temp? Worried it will be to cold to go in the ocean?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

Check weather.com for forcast. Generally, you can expect daytime temp to be mid to high 70's (at least) with nighttime dropping to mid 60's. But you just never know, you might get a warm snap or a chill. Bring a light sweater or jacket for night. The ocean temp. retains heat longer than the land temp, so there might be some good residual heat in the ocean. Notwithstanding, everyone has their own tolerance to water temp, and what might be too cold for one person is more tolerable for the other. Hard to measure. Just remember you are not as far south as Mexico or Jamaica, and you can't expect the same weather. Hope you have a good time.

virginia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

December and January can be a little fickled. Because of the weather patterns coming off the US, You will have a very brisk wind out of the east. Even with a warm sunshiine, this will produce a wind chill. The east winds will also produce some very high and choppy wave action on the beaches. Your best bet for the beach, is the protective cove beach called Paradise beach. Not the "Cove Hotel" beach, but the next one over to your left.

Ocean temp: winds have a way of sucking the temp out of the water.

You may find some "Currents/pockets", of fairly warm waters, but it's going to be chilly. Dry off as soon as you exit the water. Even in the summer at 82 degrees water temp, you can go Hypothermic

if you stay in the water too long.....

The Bahamas/Paradise Island is a very special destination, in all

seasons. There are more Celeb. vistations in the winter, and making movies are done this time of the year....never know who you might see.. Good luck and enjoy.....

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

I'm also interested in weather and water temperatures in Jan/Feb as thinking of going to Atlantis then!

Worried it won't be warm enough to swim - are the pools warm?

Thanks

White Horse Beach...
Level Contributor
375 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

the water temp comments really leave me baffled....I hear such conflicitng reports. I live in Plymouth, MA and the water temp at its warmest is probably 70 degrees, which feels like bathwater to us. I highly doubt anyone in the bahamas could become hypothermic, unless they were diving without the proper attire. Is there anyone out there that is used to swimming in colder water? If so, let me know what you think of the water temp in january, thanks

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

Going hypothermic!!!!! That's absolute NONSENSE. The water at Atlantis is warm enough year round for most anyone to enjoy. If you need bathwater than get a hot tub and stay home. The water at Atlantis is warmer year round than it is in summer anywhere in the U.S.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

Hypothermic -- not nonsense! Even a pool heated to over 80 deg will allow hypothermia if you stay in long. Simple physics; water conducts heat from the body much faster than air.

I'm interested in this as we're thinking of a fall trip to the Bahamas and the water temp is a big concern. Some people do get cold very easily. The water temp for divers was described as 80 in the summer, dipping to low 60s in the winter. For swimmers staying on the surface, it's likely to be warmer but also more variable.

White Horse Beach...
Level Contributor
375 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

You cannot get hypothermia in a swimming pool heated to 80 degrees......unless you have an air tank and stay under the water for hours and hours.

Thanks Margate for the sound advice, I imagine I will be swimming for hours in the warm water and be just fine.

8. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:04 pm, December 26, 2007
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

Your welcome. Don't worry you'll have a blast.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: January visit to Paradise Island- Weather & Water temps?

We live 400 ft. from the ocean in N.J. and avg. ocean temp june-sept. is 70-72. Millions of people enjoy it every year, Avg. water temp at Atlantis in Feb. is 75. Aug. is 80.