We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Paradise Island

Latham, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
RIU Paradise Island

We're to RIU next month and I had a few questions. First off, has anyone stayed there? I know it only opened in Dec. but there aren't any reviews at all. Secondly do you know if you can use the water park at Atlantis if you're not staying there? Does it cost extra and if so how much?

Many thanks!

Markham, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
81. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Okay, my wife and I just returned from a 3 day stay at RIU:PI. Now, I am a picky person and honestly have very little to complain about this resort.

Hotel : The lower floors are being worked on, but many are staying on those floors while reno's are taking place. Rooms are clean, liquor dispensers are filled, as is the bar fridge. They came around twice to see if we needed refilling. Bathroom in the room was clean, and everything worked. No brown water out of the taps as others reported.

Restaurants : The buffet was your standard buffet for breakfast, but was my favourite meal (always has been). For lunch, you get hotdogs and burgers. On the last day, there was a leg of lamb with mint jelly. I made friends with the chef on the first night, so I was eating steak for lunch. Never experienced the dinner buffet, as we ventured to the "specialty" restaurants.

The Steakhouse was great. I had steak, of course (Rib eye) and my wife had the seafood to which both were fantastic. The next night was gormet restaurant. I had the beef tenderloin and my wife had some sort of sea food dish which were again, both very good. (As well as the starters). Dessert was equally as good. The last night, as you had to be out of the hotel by 6pm, we tried the buffet where they had the same hotdogs and hamburgers and pizza (I had steak). Couldn't complain about the food.

The Draft Tap : They have Stella Artois on draft in two restaurants! Also, they serve Kalik (local Bahamas beer) which is good. The light is drinking water (like most American beer), but the regular is very good.... the Stella did it for me....

Staff : Very helpful and couldn't do enough for you. Questions were always answered. Barstaff was always courteous and willing to help.

Property : The pool was heated, the jacuzzi is ajoining the pool, therefore, it's not at 104 degrees. It's not a hottub, but simply a spa with jets at pool temperature. Plenty of deck chairs both on the beach (public) and around the pool.

This property needs a lot more greenery. If you don't walk next door to Atlantis (which I would HIGHLY recommend), then you don't know what's missing. If you do, you'll quickly realize that Atlantis spared no expense on groundskeeping, which RIU could learn from.

In general, a very nice hotel, but not a 5 star property. Perhaps a 3+ at the moment, and will be a solid 4. After seeing Atlantis, RIU pales in comparison. However, you'll pay three times the amount you'll pay at RIU.

Put it this way - I am considering going back in March to play some more golf at the Raddisson Cable Beach.

Yes, I was offered to cancell from Sunquest, but decided to take my chances....glad I did. I was very happy with the hotel and their staff. To all, enjoy and don't worry. It's a very livable resort. No worries. Afterall, you're on vacation!!

Kick back, relax and make the most of your 3-4 day trip.

Cheers,

DSSKing

B.C.,Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
82. Re: RIU Paradise Island

We just returned from 14 wonderful days at the Riu. We will tell you more when we have more time.

Mississauga, Ontario
5 posts
1 review
83. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Hello,

I am glad to hear that there are some, albeit few, satisfied travellers! I'm still glad that we didn't go though. As far as our request to switch with Sunquest, we simply outlined our list of concerns as noted here...such as the lack of available water sports, children's programming, renovation process still underway, ect as you've read on this site, and emailed them both to our agent and to customer service at Sunquest. We asked that they confirm that these issues are in fact not of concern, and indicated that if they could not verify this that we would be unwilling to travel to this destination. We were not hostile at all, just to the point and matter of fact, while stressing that the reason that we selected this hotel was based on the available amenities, particularily as they related to travel with our children. When they mentioned the reasonable price that we paid, I retorted that we did not pick this location based on the price and that this should be irrelevant, as I did not agree to nor was I informed that we would be risking substandard accomodations due to this "great deal". I did get a bit of a run around initially, but prevaled in the end. If they are refusing to switch your destination and or accomodation, then I would assume that perhaps they have since rectified the initial problems. We were to go there from the 16th to the 20th, but instead went to Mexico from the 19th to the 26th. They were only willing to switch with a Sunquest vacation opposed to a refund. As January is the most reasonably priced month and has the most moderate temperatures, unless you are willing to spend a lot more money, you really are limited. There were no other accomodations available in Bahamas through Sunquest at the times we were interested in, except for Holiday Inn, and when our agent started the conversation off with " unfortunately this is all we can offer", we decided against it, as the reviews are pretty bad there too. Of course in the ideal circumstance they would have offered a complimentary switch to another 5 star location, but that just isn't how it works. We were satisfied with a switch and to pay the difference opposed to squandering the vacation plans and money that we really looked forward to. I wouldn't be satisfied with " relax, it's your vacation after all" because after all, we are paying for it, and a vacation is about enjoying simple pleasures, at least for us it is. Also, don't bother trying to solve anything by talking directly with a Sunquest rep, as they only want to talk with the agents, not the customer. Hopefully the agent, or the manager at the agency, will work on your bahalf as they should. If not, then assume that things aren't as bad as they apparently were and hope for the best. When you come back, if you still have issues, email them off again.

Toronto, Ontario
3 posts
1 review
84. Re: RIU Paradise Island

We too just returned from Riu Paradise and had a great time!

There is nothing really to complain about except that during the day it can get a little noisy because of the ongoing construction (that is to better the place) The good was excellent, the beach a dream, the staff was always out to please! I cannot say enough good things about this place. I would go back in a minute. Im not a hard person to please but this place was breathtaking!

B.C.,Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
85. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Why go through the trouble of writing a review for others to read if you aren't going to be honest? I believe it's because your mad and you want to punish the resort for your bad time. We were at the RIU for 14 days from Jan 11 to 25 and it was awesome!!! Absolutlely no complaints. What we did see was a lot of people who came for 3 or 4 days from the East coast and if the weather was bad the atmosphere was gloomy and you could hear people being nit picky about the little things when the weather was nice, that group of people couldn't have been happier. The person who said that they saw a wedding there and the people weren't happy is not telling the truth because my sister almost changed her wedding plans after reading that review but now is glad she didn't and the Hotel staff were ALL excited because it was the FIRST WEDDIND since becoming a Riu. This facilty is a 4 star facility on it's way to becoming a 5 star property and I believe my 25 years as a golf professional has affored me to chance to see many fine properties around the world and that is my opinion. The service is as good as I have had the pleasure of encountering any where! In all the resorts I have stayed in there has never been a "Free Mini Bar" with 26 oz bottles on a speed rack for your pleasure in my room. Beer, pop, and juice all free in your room??? I know I paid for all inclusive but this was something I didn't expect I knew the staff would be fresh and not burned out because of the re-opening but I didn't know they would be so professional.There isn't a thing I could think of that they wouldn't try to do for you if you asked them to. The food was vey good for a buffet and the 3 attached resaurants were 5 star for sure! 2 things were missing from my regular breakfast 1 was waffles and the other was snow. The only thing missing at lunch and dinner was the snow. 3 or 4 people are always at stations during the buffet hours and will cook you eggs or make you an omlette or a smoothie they always have something to carve and always have a good variety from one day to the next. The rooms are 3 star so if you are going for the room decor go somewhere else. The rooms were very clean and in all the bad reviews I have read I can't see anybody who has anything to say about that subject. My wife, Daughter, and Sister, all had treatments in the Spa facility and were all very happy. The girls looked spectacular for the wedding. My wife used the excersise room every day except 2 and my daughter except 3 and they had no complaints. The selection of Liquor was very good with decent Brand name products for every flavor. In 14 days we had an excellent opportunity to make some new friends with the staff and so I will admit that maybe our view is tainted but I watched the level of service they provided to all the guests and it was exceptional. Chante at the front counter is tremendous. Holbrook runs a good crew with the bartenders. La quint, Arnold, Travis are gifted with public interaction. TC works long hours as the F& B manager and doesn't let much slip through the cracks. The pool and towel guys are always happy to see you and have got the pool up to a very comfortable tempature. 2 or 3 attendants are at the bottom of the stairs to drag a very comfortable chair onto a 5 star beach for your pleasure.TJ and Don work real hard in the entertainment section, Ruth in House keeping is awesome and the list goes on. There is always someone to take your plate away for you to have a clean one on your return trips to the buffet.The guys at the door will give you directions or hail you a cab. My nefew played for hours in the video room one rainy day.When we arrived we needed 2 taxis because there were 6 of us and luggage for 14 days it was going to cost approx $60 there was a limo outside for $75 when we got in we asked for an island tour and gave him $100,it was agood way to get things started and a highlite for the kids aged 10 and 12. We tried parasailing and jetskiing got our hair braided on the beach bought some trinkets watched the Michael Jordan celebrty Golf tournament went out to the "Fry" were all the locals go on Sunday night along the warf for an authentic Bahamian dinner and cultural experience.We shopped in the straw market and went to watch a Movie Matinee on another Rainy day. If you can't figure it out by now we had a 5 star vacation at a 3 star price. Which is one more thing some people aren't being honest about " the price".If you factor in the "all Included" it's 1/3 the price of Atlantis and I looked over and when it was raining and blowing at RIU they were having the same weather at Atlantis. We didn't hook up with any travel Tour company because "The Bahamas isn't marketed very much in Western Canada so we made all of our own arrangements we flew Air Canada to Toronto and then th Nassau and booked directly with the hotlel the 2 families spent over $20,000 and we would do it again in a heart beat!

P.S. \I was curios to see what type of people write these reviews so I went to 3 or 4 of my other favorite resorst I have visited and I am very glad I didn't read those reviews before I travelled or I wouldn't have gone there either. I get it that your not happy I don't get why you want to blame these beautiful people for your misery?

Mississauga, Ontario
5 posts
1 review
86. Re: RIU Paradise Island

bctraveller

Glad that you had a great time! That is definately an improvement from the many complaints that others had, my guess is that they've made those imoprovements since the initail reviews. I don't understand why anyone would run down the people, and I think you are mistaken that this is the concern of most. Perhaps some have, but I think that the majority of people who have had complaints were there before that time, when indeed there were problems, not with "these beautiful people" but rather with what the resort did not offer as expected and advertised, as confirmed by Sunquest, our tour operator, at least in my case. I stayed at another Riu property in Mexico instead, and can tell you that the chain is superb if the three resorts I saw can attest to their usual quality, and great attitude amung staff. I for one do look forward to perhaps going there one day, as I suspect will happen, the reviews will get better. Might not be for a few years but I don't mind waiting to ensure that our good hard earned money is worth every penny spent.

By the way, $20,000 seems pretty reasonable for 6 people to enjoy 2 weeks from B.C. enroute Toronto to Bahamas for a good time to me, if I read that properly (brief skim), worth every cent indeed! Cheers.

Toronto, ON
4 posts
87. Re: RIU Paradise Island

BahamaBound: Thank you for your advice on how to deal with Sunquest. Unfortunately, since the manager of customer service @ Sunquest will not return my call and my travel agent tells me it is out of their hands, I guess I am off to the Bahamas on Sunday. I agree with you that on the whole Riu as a chain is great. I have been to the Riu Palace Macaco in the Dominican and had a wonderful time so hopefully all has improved in Nassau or I'll have to flight with Sunquest when I get back.

Toronto, Ontario
3 posts
1 review
88. Re: RIU Paradise Island

I agree with BCTravelller in all tha was said. I too had a fantastic time at Riu Paradise. Sunquest did offer the option of a full refund before we left but we never gave it a second thought for two reasons. We are not picky people. Clean room and nice beach and Im happy. Also, staying at the Atlantis is not an option. I could come back to Riu three times over with that cash. The weather cooperated and we had the best time. Although there is some construction going on, it really is not a big deal. The room was stocked with alcohol, bottled water and pop. The view was breathtaking and the food was the best that Ive ever had at an all inclusive resort. I read some posts before I left and was really concerned, but none were founded. I cant understand why one would complain about such petty things. The beds are not turned down at night ???? Im sorry but who turns down your bed at home every night? And if thats what your waiting for - go to the Atlantis and pay triple. Although I dont like to visit a place more than once because Id like to see something new, Riu Paradise is on my return list. The value was extrodinary, the staff was outstanding. For those who want to be treated like roalty - get out of your bubbles.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
89. Re: RIU Paradise Island

It's a renovated property, haven't had anyone stay there yet because all the charter flights from Chicago to Nassau have been pulled due to lack of interest. RIU is a very reputable chain and there's not many all-inclusives in Nassau. Will let you know when I hear of anyone that's returned from there.

Secondly, the Atlantis is well known to be what everyone calls "a cash cow", that is that everything you do there is expensive, even the tours of the place. Frankly, Nassau is not a good deal for the money, there's alot nicer destinations with better beaches, better attitudes from the people that live in the destination, and the currency exchange is very costly to Americans. Unless you live in Florida, where Nassau is cheap to hop over to, it's not worth traveling to (same goes for Freeport too). The outer Bahamian islands are a different story, some are very nice. Once Castro passes away, Cuba will open to the Americans (all the resorts are booming there for the Canadians, Europeons, etc.) and it will kill Nassau; as the beaches are better. Cuba needs some renovating on it's resorts, but once open to Americans, it'll be a HOT destination.

Virginia
1 post
90. Re: RIU Paradise Island

We just got back from Paradise Island on Tuesday. The RUI used to be the Grand Sheraton -- but was sold to RUI. We stayed next door in a timeshare unit --and walked past the RUI every day to go to the stores, shopping center and Atlantis. No, you can only see the water and shops at Atlantis -- you can buy a "day room" for $200.00 from 11am to 6pm -- if there is an opening. There were no openings when we were there. My 11 year old son wanted to check it all out --