We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Paradise Island

Latham, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
RIU Paradise Island

We're to RIU next month and I had a few questions. First off, has anyone stayed there? I know it only opened in Dec. but there aren't any reviews at all. Secondly do you know if you can use the water park at Atlantis if you're not staying there? Does it cost extra and if so how much?

Many thanks!

Markham, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
71. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Well, it's nice to hear from someone who actually had a good time.

Leaving on the 4pm flight on Thursday...... Hope all goes well. I was offered a refund from Sunquest yesterday, however, with one day to go, I was unable to find something comparable....... so, we'll see what happens. As long as the facility is clean, food is good, service is good, that's really all we want..... daytime is spent eleswhere anyway.......(golf course).......

Will post results.

Anyone else on the 4pm flight from Pearson Toronto?

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
72. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Just got in last night after spending 4 nights at the RIU. Not quite as terrible as we imagined. Upon arrival to the hotel we found the lobby area quite spectacular. Sparkling marble floors and columns, gleaming hardwood bar and reception area and gorgeous chandaliers. Staff very friendly and helpful. We found our room old looking, especially the bathroom. Nice ocean view. We found the all of the restaurants (we tried all 3 of the a la carte) to be excellent. You must book before 8:30 am if you expect to get an early seating. The animation team had very good nightly entertainment. My husband said the drinks were great (I don't drink). I stuck to virgin pina coladas which came out of a slushy machine. We did have some complaints though, and filled out a form with the reception. There was still construction going on the entire time we were there. From 7 am to 8 pm there was a jackhammer going on the second floor. There was no music played in the lobby, so you had to talk over the jackhammer. There was also work being done in the lobby. The power went out twice while we were there. That really didn't bother us (we heard the electricians working at the hotel cut the power). However, we found no security lights in the hallways or stairwells when we decided to walk down the stairs. Our last day, the water was out. (when water did work it comes out brown for the first little while.) Unfortunately weather did not cooperate either. Couldnt't use the pool because it was too cold and couldn't swim at the beach because surf was way too choppy. In all, we would rate this hotel a 3 star. Hopefully they will make some improvements.

Concord, ON
1 post
73. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Indeed, we create the enemies we later defend ourselves against.

Most of the comments we read in this forum had us ready for a dreadful time and primed to do battle with management and staff on site. A very high state of apprehension.

After 4 days at the RIU, we found no WMDs - (woeful and miserable days).

However, there is one word to describe the RIU - it's SCHIZOPHRENIC! Their ratings are all over the starry landscape. Here's where they get their stars:

5 stars: the lobby and most of the public areas; also pretty much all the staff - they are very courteous, polite, friendly and helpful. Whoever found the staff to be surly must have been fighting with the mirror.

4 Stars: the food; the pool and pool area (just barely 4 stars)

3 Stars: the bedroom. Ours was large with a decent king size bed. There are lots of pillows. There's also a small but useful patio with a good view (when the jackhammers are not jacking).

2 Stars: the bathroom. If you like chintzy, you'll love theirs - shampoo in little plastic sleeves, soaps in tiny little sizes. Very reminiscent of near-highway motels in North America. One thing though, they do have a good shower head.

So, depending on what you pay, you may find excellent value here. Had it not been for the duelling jackhammers and loss of water just about the time we needed to shower and pack to check out, we considered ourselves "pleasantly surprised".

The beach is great for a nice brisk walk - just long enough from end to end. But talk about high winds and rough surf! Virtually nobody ventured into the water from Monday to Wednesday. By Thursday winds were down and the surf almost playful.

Proximity to Atlantis is a major bonus.

Don't let the staff tell you that it's too far to walk into Nassau town. It's about 30-40 minutes from the RIU to the Straw Market. You can also stop and admire the view from the bridge.

Given the on-going work at the resort, it certainly seems that things will continue to improve. However, this no is 5-Star resort. And probably never can or will be. Think of it as a solid "almost 4-Star" and you'll be fine.

We'd go back - if the price is right.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
74. Re: RIU Paradise Island

There are many reviews on trip advisor including some recent ones. I have not been to RIU but it sounds to me like it's hit and miss with that place....you either love it or you hate it.

One person summed it up best by saying "It's a great place to spend 3-4 days with a beautiful beach and decent accomodations. Don't expect 5 star quality and you will not be disappointed."

I am thinking of going next month and there are some real good deals out of Toronto, Canada.

Anyways, read some of the recent reviews and you'll find a real mixed bag of stories.

P.S. - You cannot use the water park at Atlantis unless you want to spend approx. $100 for the day per person.

Good Luck!

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
3 reviews
75. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Hi,

Stayed at this hotel last Feb. when it was the Sharaton. It was dreamy!!...It is next door to the Atlantis, but I don't believe there are any connections between the hotel and Atlantis, other than the close proximity. I wanted to "play" at the Atlantis water logoon,etc, and I believe the price at that time was about $150.00 per day. If you can swing it, it's awesome.We opted out, and I plan to do it this year...........Have a fabulous time!!

Toronto, ON
4 posts
76. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Wish I found this web site and forum earlier. Just booked a vacation to Riu Paradise Island leaving Feb 6/05. I spoke to a friend that just returned from the hotel and they all feel they been lied to because the hotel is not what was advertised by Sunquest and the ongoing renovations will give anyone a headache. So I contacted both my travel agent and Sunquest to see if I can I change my reservations to another hotel. Let just say both parties have been less than cooperative or helpful. The representative at Sunquest still insists that All renovations at the hotel are completed and all amenities are operational. They insist that this is a 5 Star resort as advertised. They refuse to provide me with a refund or any type of alternative arrangements because it too last minute. I am thinking of suing Sunquest for misleading the consumer through false advertising and misrepresenting the product they are selling. Has anyone been successful in getting a refund or alternative arrangement with Sunquest regarding their Riu booking? Sunquest claims that they have yet to refund or provide alternate arrangements for this hotel in the past few weeks.

Welland, ON
2 posts
77. Re: RIU Paradise Island

We're leaving for the RIU on Jan 30. I spoke to our travel agent about switching hotels and she was less than helpful. She said she had called Sunquest and they told her they hadn't received any complaints about the RIU and told me she couldn't book us into another "5 star". I was told that all we can do is let the Sunquest rep. at the RIU know when we arrive that we have concerns and then see what happens. Other than that we still plan on having a good time and if the hotel itself turns out to be a nightmare we'll fight with Sunquest when we get back.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
78. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Hi,

Read the post from "DSSKING" he/she seems to have been offered a refund from Sunquest. I got back last Thursday and woulndn't recommend this hotel to anyone for at least another 3-4 months. The rennovations need to be completed and the food requires drastic improvement.

Mississauga, Ontario
5 posts
1 review
79. Re: RIU Paradise Island

Hello,

We switched and boy are we glad!

We just got back from Mexico ( 7 nights), where we had switched through Sunquest from original booking at Riu Paradise Island (4 night). We did stay at another Riu property, the Riu Caribe, Cancun (read those reviews, all 5 plus!) . We had been fully booked for the Bahamas, but on the Wednesday before our Sunday departure, we discovered this site, needless to say we were on the phone immediately. By Friday ( 2 days later) we had arranged and confirmed the switch to Cancun, Mexico. We had to pay the difference in price, but it was worth it to spend another $1000 to not waste the $2400 we had put up to go to Riu Paradise Island. We were travelling with our 2 children, 4 years and 8 months and we were SOOOOOO happy with the Riu Caribe. We all had a great time and the weather was wonderful, the resort a full 5 star! Huge pool, fabulous beach, great staff, awesome drinks, terrific pizza, cool breeze, friendly guests, outdoor hot tub (easily found), great guacamole (spelling?) and access to the two other Riu properties, Riu Cancun and Riu Palace. From the reviews we just read, guess we would have been real dissappointed. The temperature was awesome, switch, switch, switch. Good luck.

Toronto, ON
4 posts
80. Re: RIU Paradise Island

BahamaBound: Can you please tell me how you got Sunquest to agree to the switch. My trip is not until Feb 6, 2005, but I have spoken to my travel agent and two different customer services representives at Sunquest and everyone tells me it is too late to make any kid of change and it cannot be done. I left a message for the Manger of Customer Service at Sunquest on Tuesday and they have yet to return my call. Please advise.