We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Topic
SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Sandals Royal Bahamian. We spent 11 days there. On our 3rd night there we booked dinner reservstions at thier Goomsbay Cafe on thier little island and my feet got bitten by sand fleas. I was wearing long pants and shoes, a long sleeve t-shirt with a sweater and they still got to my back too.

Fully knowing that I am allergic to sand flea bites (causes my skin to be very itchy and swollen) I have always avoided the beaches at night and after a rain because that's when they come out.

For 4 days I could not wear shoes AT ALL therefore could not enter any of thier restaurants and could not leave the resort!

For 3 days out of 4 I was on Benadryl every 8 hours just not to scratch my feet, sleep I did, and not by choice!

All of his could have been prevented if, at the time of booking, we were warned that sand fleas are present on thier island and that the restaurant was outdoors!

Having experieced sand fleas once in the Dominican Republic I would of never gotten on that boat to go eat there just so I wouldn't have to experience the buggers again...it ruined 5 days of our trip.

What has Sandals done for us...not much...after much pushing and shoving they gave us 2 nights free stay in any Sandals Resort in the next 24 months...coming from the West Coast...not likely to happen especially after spending $10 000 on this trip!

All in all I liked the resort, but if I was to return to a Sandals I would only stay 1 week because after a week the food is the same, and you start to notice all the little things that are not great afterall, such as pool entertainment, night entertainment, dirty pools, lazy staff...and the resort just starts to look dirty etc.

We also hated the fact that there was no currancy exchange at the resort...banks are only open till 3pm.

DO not be mistaken by my review...if it wasn't for my feet being bitten, we had a very relaxing time and met many wonderful couples from Toronto and Miami.

I simply want to warn all of you to stay away from the beaches at night and after a rain fall and that restaurant.

Any questions, I'll gladly answer them.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Sandals Royal Bahamian...
9,486 Reviews
New Providence Island
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Glen Oaks, New York
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

Ari,

I am surprised that they did not warn you. We ate at Cafe Goombay on Friday. They did warn us to wear long pants. Even though my husband and I sprayed Off before we left the room, we had to spray more when we were on the island, which they had available. I am still itching almost a week later and was given steroid cream by my Dr yesterday.

I do agree that they have to do something about it. It is bad, but unlike you I didn't get bit until the last night, so now I am itching at work.

I hope you feel better soon.

Gail

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
243 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

Do these fleas bite in the winter months of December & January too?

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

Hi GailG and Dutchtravlr,

GailG-this is my first time using this TripAdvisor, a lady I met at the resort told me to help and warn others about the Sand Fleas at the resort through this site...I think its great BUT can you tell me how I can reply to you without having to reply to my topic...Hummm I tried everything.

Maybe Dutchtravlr would know...

Hi Dutchtravelr,

Yes, the first time I got bit by sand fleas it was in December. I presume they are on the beaches when the sand is colder, therefore at night and after a rainfall.

Cheers

Ari

Glen Oaks, New York
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SAND FLEAS at Royal Bahamian Sandals Resort and Spa

You can reply to me at gailgooch@aol.com