We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Naussau sage ?

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Is Naussau sage ?

Is Naussau safe ? Can you rent a car and drive around ?

We are staying at the RIU Paradise Island

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

oops ! I meant SAFE !

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Nassau is generally safe, especially in the daytime.

Be as careful as you would in any other city.

I would'nt drive at nite, or go out away from the tourist areas in the evenings.

I must warn you, bahamian drivers are crazy, they drive on the left and the streets are rarely marked. There are accidents every day, and parking is impossible to find.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Thanks Scubagirl, I'm still trying to decide between Margarita Island or Naussa. I have read very bad reviews of Margarita Island especially the Hilton. I have read ok reviews about the RIU Paradise Island ?????

Toronto
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Lilou,

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Margarita Island the week of Feb 3 -10/05. I booked after reading one review titled "Paradise". Unfortunately, that was the ONLY review posted at the time. While the hotel itself was okay, the beach was pretty disgusting. Muddy with patches of grass in some areas, broken shells and pieces of glass and other garbage, lots of seaweed and worst of all - a horrible stench similiar to sewage which would become overpowering when the wind was blowing in a certain direction. This odor was noticable even if you were just sitting on your balcony. You didn't actually have to be on the beach. We travelled to another beach one day called Playa El Agua. It was cleaner and had no odor. The water was too rough for me to go in (huge waves) and we did see several dogs walking on the beach unattended. No one seemed to care about the fact that the dogs relieve themselves in the sand. I did. I have been told that Margarita Island is not known for nice beaches. I did not think that the food at the hotel was very good. The room was okay - nothing special. Staff were not friendly. Service was not fast. We were warned about walking at night. Much poverty and petty theft on this island. Hotel pool and grounds were magnificent (would be better without the odor!) We will not go back.

Coincidently, we are also going to the RIU Paradise Island on April 14- 17 for our anniversary. I agree, reviews are much better for the RIU and Paradise Island is known for nice beaches.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Use caution in Nassau. We had a hellish taxi ride (from a driver who we thought was a taxi driver, but really wasn't). He packed 9 women in his van, took the back roads back to the cruise ship, and we all truly thought we were being abducted. Not a laughing matter.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Use caution in Nassau. We had a hellish taxi ride (from a driver who we thought was a taxi driver, but really wasn't). He packed 9 women in his van, took the back roads back to the cruise ship, and we all truly thought we were being abducted. Not a laughing matter.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Naussau sage ?

Look Nassau is like any other city (ok it's tiny but it's still the capital). You have to be careful like you would anywhere else you would go. If you take sensible precautions then there is no reason to think you would encounter any problems.

As for renting a car DONT....they drive like nutters in Nassau on the opposite side of the road to what you are used to and they love their quaint little english roundabouts....

Stick to the Jitney, it's a buck wherever you want to go and for the most part I find it can often be the highlight of some tourists day, you meet some colourfull and interesting characters along the way.