We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Island

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Island

We are at the Sheraton for a week, and it is getting old fast. Loud music, no shade. Am thinking we would really like Rose Island and it is perhaps the place we should not miss while we are here. Flying cloud does not have full day trips except Sunday, which has passed.

Which vendor/boat/ trip would you most recommend. Prefer a boat with some shade and not too many people.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Island

I've been on the Flying Cloud catamaran excursion five times to Rose Island. The boat has a cabin to give you shade if you want to get out of the sun. Guess you've got a good burn/tan by now :-)

It was rarely crowded during my trips in early May and November.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Island

No shade? No umbrellas? That's not good! Summer is coming...

Rose Island is 9 miles long with a LOT of beach all along the Northern shoreline...

The beaches at Rose Island are special because they are not hotel beaches, with all that that entails, so you should definitely go out there! There are a number of ways you can go, depending on your choice of 'vessel' and your budget...

Charter a deep sea fishing boat (Chubasco? Yellow Tail?) for a day or 1/2 day and don't go fishing, just do your own thing.

Go on Flying Cloud's 1/2 day trip, it does go to Rose, but with that you can either go snorkeling or go on the beach. They take maybe 60 people max but it's not that busy right now so they probably are sailing with a lot less.

Go on Barefoot Sailing Cruises' full day trip which gives you several hours at Rose, with snorkeling, and they only take about 20 people for their max, and again, probably 1/2 that right now.

Go with Sandy Toes day trip, but that might be more like the hotel with noise/partying at the beach, depending on how many people they have. They probably take about 100 people max, but I'm not too sure. Of course, there's lots of beach, you can wander away from the crowds...

When you call to book - ask how many people the company has booked for that day, and then you'll know which one is right for you!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Island

Boy oh, boy.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,518 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Island

Private charter would be your best bet if you really want to get away from the noise and people. The hotel concierge can offer ideas for these. Or since you are already on the Cable Beach strip, you can rent a car (or take the #10 or #12 jitney bus) and head west (the traffic is so much more maneageable at that end of the island), and find a beach along the shore road that suits you. No shortage of places with not a soul (or any music) on them. Parking is easy and available. For lunch, you really shouldn't miss Traveller's Rest, an old favourite with locals and visitors alike, that has just reopened. Just keep in mind that the buses stop running around dusk.

It's a shame you've found yourself in such a noisy environment. I'm with you in that I like to relax and not hear thumping music all day long when on holiday. I'm also thinking that you may be able to find a place next door that may have a quieter area away from the bars and the music.

5. Re: Rose Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 08, 2014