We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from Southern Air!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from Southern Air!

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Cat Island staying at Tail Winds resort. Our only hiccup of the trip was on the way back to Nassau. We booked with Southern Air b/c they had a 9:15am flight out of Arthurs town which would have gotten us to Nassau in plenty of time for our 1:07 flight. We called and confirmed our flights the day before and our housekeeper stopped by the airport as extra measure to make sure all was well. They called the resort at 4:30pm and confirmed that we and the other guests at the resort that were also traveling on same flight were good to go. We were literally in the car leaving at 7:30am when they called the resort owner and told him they cancelled the flight and basically we were on our own to figure out what to do. They couldn't care less that we had confirmed the flight three times the day before. The other guests at our resort flew in with them landing in at New Bight and following to ATC. At New Bight they made them get off the plane and said they would send them by car for the 90min drive to TailWinds. Horrible Service and it seems to be the norm according to the locals. DON'T risk it.

On the happy note, we were all able to be added to the later Sky Bahamas flight which was then completely full. We had only carryon luggage so were able to run from plane and get through security and customs. The flight left 15 min early so we made it with only minutes to spare. Stressful ending to our most fantastic vacation but we will be back just not using Southern Air.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from Southern Air!

I'm sorry this happened to you, but to condemn an entire airline becuase of one cancelled flight really isn't fair.Tell me one US-based airline that doesn't cancel dozens of flights per day. Most airlines based in the Bahamas have a limited number of planes flying several routes, so if there is a problem, flights are late or cancelled and there is usually no spare plane to replace the one with the problem. Personally, if due to mechanical or safety issues, I'd much rather the flight be cancelled than the airline try to fly to appease passangers. Not sure if that was the case here, but I can't imagine them cancelling for trivial reasons.

I live in the Bahamas and have flown just about all of the local airlines at one time or another. Southern Air has usually been reliable. Flights can be late, but that is pretty much the standard for anywhere in the world these days for one reason or another. I have been in an instance where Southern Air cancelled a flight due to mechanical issues, and believe me, I was just as happy not to risk my family's safety just to get home on time. They did arrange for us to fly home on another airline several hours later. In your case, it would seem it all worked out in the end and you were able to catch your flight back to the US.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from Southern Air!

All airlines I've every flown with help you reschedule your flight if there is a problem. Southern Air's response was Too Bad, So Sad deal with it yourself. That is where the issue lies. We were lucky enough to find a way home with no help from them at all. The Sky Bahama agent along with the locals all stated this scenerio isn't an unusual one so I am allowing other travelers to know and make their own decision. If I would have known, I would have booked Sky Bahamas from the beginning.

3. Re: Stay away from Southern Air!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 02, 2014