We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Just back from Nassau Jan. 27-31. Stayed at the Quality Inn near downtown. Not the greatest place but OK for location. The weather was in mid-70s to 80. (Felt like 85 during the day under the sun) The water temp. was about mid-70s. (So I only comfortably went in as far as my waist) I went on an awesome Stuart Cove's snorkeling day tour and was glad to have rented a wetsuit for 10 bucks. Taxi from the airport was 22 and I gave a total of 25 bucks. Right before you leave the airport there are signs on the walls as to how much taxis cost for whichever location you are headed. I enjoyed the Friday night dinner at Cafe Johnny Canoe (next to Nassau Beach hotel). Downtown shops seem to close as the cruise ships are about to leave. I enjoyed walking around the downtown area and near my hotel. Great free maps are available all over. Saw the Queen's staircase which is near Fort Fincastle and the water tower (water tower was closed for renovation). The pirate museum was cool even though 12 bucks to enter. Also went to Fort Charlotte. Took a $3 ferry from downtown over to Paradise Island where I walked around the overrated Atlantis. The aquariums were way cool and then I walked around taking elevators and walking along the higher floors until I avoided any security so I could tour the pool & beyond areas. I guess if you want to have a water park day for the amount they charge, it's the place for you. In all, it was great for 4 days. Next time I go back (if I can get over the high prices of everything), it won't be in January since it isn't warm enough to enjoy swimming in non-chlorinated waters. Pardon the long post--hope this answers questions.

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Thanks for the info.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Glad you had a great trip! We went to Stuart's Cove last year and had a wonderful time. You are right, although the Atlantis is beautiful it is over-rated for the money. We went in June 2 years ago and the weather was beautiful and it was warm and sunny. Last year we went in May and it was very windy, but that didn't hamper our having a great time. I don't think there is a bad day in the Bahamas : ) We are going back in June this year and I can't wait.

boston
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Hi..wanted to know if there was any fee for the Stuarts Cove snorkel and how long it lasted. Thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Yes, they have a few different packages that you can book. I don't really remember how much the scuba was, somewhere around 50.00 or so. It lasts about 3 hours with travel time on the boat.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Sorry, I meant snorkeling, not scuba

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

Hey Funnychap24! Having been born & raised in Syracuse and then moving to the sunny South, I can imagine why you took your trip in January. I've been in March and twice in the month of June. Going again this year in June 'cause I feel the weather is better-maybe hotter, but the water is warmer also. Did you hapen to go on the Dolphin Encounter?

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'M JUST BACK from 4 days in Nassau

I am also going in June, the 5th - 12th. I am hoping that it won't rain, but who cares...I'm in the Bahamas!