We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nirvana near Love Beach

Bird in Hand...
Level Contributor
76 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Nirvana near Love Beach

Having rented a car, we stumbled on Nirvana last Summer (2010) and loved it. Although a bit shabby around the edges, the snorkeling was awesome and we were the only people there other than the owner and the waitress/cook. I was by far our favorite part of a week long trip.

We're going to be in Nassau again the first week in March and would like to go back, but don't want to rent a car. Is there a reliable way to get back and forth? Do the Jitneys run on "Island Time" or are they on time? If we made arrangements with a cab to come back, would that be reliable?

Also, in an older post, there was mention of "thugs" that hang out there. We felt completely safe during our time there. Any opinions on whether this was a false sense of security. Did we just get lucky?

Thanks in advance.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

You got lucky.

Although this area used to be a premier spot for beach and snorkeling, i't become a late nite party spot with debris left behind, as well as a target for thugs looking to single out and rob people.

I don't recomment ANY "out of the way" or "off the beaten Path" experience that will alienate you from a group. Makes you an easy mark for robbery these days.

Sorry to be such a downer, but crime has gotten pretty bad here outside the main tourist area.

If Compass Point has guests, I'd suggest you stay near that area if you venture to that part of the island. Nivana mgmt is not very welcoming anymore.

As for transportation, jitneys are on island time and few and far between (you 'll need the western transport jitney, not all #10 go that far). or ask your cabbie to come back and pick you up.

uk
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

We went to Nirvana last feb to check it out. Very quiet though the owner was on site and quickly appeared to claim his dosh. We didnt stay that time as the weather was too bad to go into the water with safety. I was concerned about the safety of our gear if we went snorkelling and am even more worried now weve seen the posting from scubagirl ( who seems to give a lot of good postings - thanks) . I did wonder if there was a resposibility on the owner of the site, having taken your money, to provide a safe facility.

The other off- putting problem was the huge amount of broken glass on the beach between Nirvanna and Compass \Point.

There was no problem with the jitney though we did walk back as far a CP.

Winter Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

We went to Nirvana several times and loved it! - we took the #10 jitney ( west) and had no problems getting back ( I think it was on a sunday also!)

I imagine during the day is the best time anywhere in Nassau to travel and enjoy, night time is always a risk.

I would love to get a hold of Scott, now that we have a large group that wants to hang there all day and enjoy the bar.

Tony

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

I was just there and rented a moped... It was cheap quick and efficient, though you have to haggle for the moped deals. But it worked out great, explored the caves, ate at nirvana, and snorkled at love beach. Spent no more that 60 dollars for the day.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

Maybe I'm just chicken.. but with the crime rate in nassau what it is these days.. I don't recommend going anywhere alone and away from the crowds.

It's not just Love Beach/Nirvana.. it's any "off the beaten path" area..

Robberies and assaults are not uncommon these days.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

I would certainly advise away from traveling east from the ports. but heading west was quite nice, clean, and safe along west Bay street. All of the resorts are in this area.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

There is also a group of people who protect tourists... call them a mob if you will, but if someone on the island attacks a tourist, they would be lucky if the police got to them first. The "mob" that they have know that the income of the island depends on the tourists. Not fair to call them a mob... more like guardians.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

Guardians??? Mob???? who are u kidding..

No such effective group in the bahamas.. and if there were.. the damage would already be done.

When you are alone on an out of the way beach or area.. you are alone. no police, no guardians and certainly not the mob.

Yes we have vigilante justice.. but it's a poor excuse for protection

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

Scuba, glad you responded to that statement about the mob. One of the most idiotic comments I've read. Got to go now, my meatball and spaghetti lunch is ready. Then I'm having a sit down with Tommy "No Thumbs" Bahamas.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nirvana near Love Beach

Still shaking my head..