We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shipping a car vs. buying a car

7 posts
Save Topic
shipping a car vs. buying a car

I currently live on Nassau and have just found out that I will be here much longer than I originally thought. I am now thinking about either buying a car here on Nassau or shipping one from the US (a cheap used car). Can anyone offer any input on which is the better way to go. I am looking to only spend about $3000-$4000 total either way. Thanks.

Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shipping a car vs. buying a car

Importing a car to the Bahamas can get expensive. Depending on the size, type, and cost, the stamp tax that the government charges can run upwards of 50 to 60% of the cost of the car. So if the car is valued at $3000US, expect a stamp tax of $1500, plus the cost of shipping. You have to pay the shipping and stamp taxes before the car is released by customs. Buying a used car here is a tricky deal. You just don't know what your going to get. Not to mention finding parts or a mechanic that knows what they are doing, unless your willing to pay for service from a major dealer. I have a car out of service for 5 months sitting in the driveway, 4 mechanics, lots of $$$, and still no car...not to mention very hard to find the part I need to fix it, since it's a Japanese car I never heard of until I moved here. You might have some luck with the ads in the local papers, friends, neighbors, or co-workers.

Nassau, New...
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
278 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shipping a car vs. buying a car

It isn't always a deal shipping the car in. The duty that the Bahamians charge isn't based on what you paid for the car you shipped in, but what they value it at. What kind of car are you looking for? If you are looking for a small truck I can help. PM and I can give you the details. It runs great and is close to your price range.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shipping a car vs. buying a car

$3000 - 4000 will not buy you a very reliable car in Nassau. That said, it is possible to find a good deal by checking with co-workers, neighbours or civic clubs, etc. Another option is to wait until June/July when many ex-pat teachers will be looking to sell their vehicles before leaving the island. There are also notice boards in the grocery stores.

However you will need to have someone check out the car before you buy it, as for that price, you are not going to be getting anyting special. Basic transportation is all.

Shippping a car is doable, but make sure you have a reliable car to ship as parts and service is not cheap. Depending who you work for, you may have a means of shipping the car in under bond, and will not need to pay the duty/import charges, as long as you take the car back with you when you leave. It cannot be sold here, but must go back to the US (or where you brought it from). Ask your employer.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: shipping a car vs. buying a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 18, 2010