We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Nassau For the Day suggestions please

I'll be arriving in Nassau, On Sunday Aug 13th, on cranival cruise lines.

I would really love to go to a nice beach, relax, take some wonderful pictures and just make a day of it. Any Suggestions as this is my first trip to the Bahamas?

Also, What time to the local shops and beaches close at?

Thank's in advance!

Washington DC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Hello -

We just got back from our trip to the Bahamas today, on Carnival as a matter of fact. The beach at Paradise Island is supposed to be really nice, although we didn't go there. You'll have to catch the ferry to Paradise Island, or ask one of the bus guys, though the ferry is cheaper. Beaches are open around the clock, no restrictions. Not sure about the shops, though they're open till at least 5-6 since we were out at that time. The snorkeling tours are really nice too, so that may be worth your while. Also, be sure to visit the aquarium at Atlantis, it's nice and it'll get you into Atlantis, which you might like to just roam around in. Scooters are also an option.

Your wife/girlfriend might enjoy the Straw Market, a small yet unique market where local women sell products made of straw, amongst other things. Nice place to get souvenirs.

Things you want to watch out for: whatever tour you want to take in the Bahamas, be sure to wait to get off the ship and purchase it directly from the tour vendor, instead of from Carnival. They charge you extra to purchase the tour from them. We made that mistake and ended up paying more than some others did.

Also, if you feel the urge to check your e-mail, wait till you get to the Bahamas, and look for a cyber cafe in one of the arcades, you'll find the Internet to be much cheaper on the island than on the ship.

Hope this helps, and feel free to email/post if you have any specific questions. I have a feeling you're doing the same 3-day cruise that we did. Anyway, enjoy!

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Hi DCRocks!! We are booked on the Carnival Fantasy for the Nassau cruise out of Port Canaveral in January 2006. We're going with extended family, and this is our 1st cruise. What snorkel trip did you book? We were thinking of Stuart Cove's. We've also been warned not to book excursions through Carnival. How did you enjoy the Fantasy?? My parents are frequent cruisers, but they do the 7-10 day trips on the bigger boats, so we're all anxious to hear about the Fantasy ( the rest of us wouldn't commit to a longer cruise, even though my parents swear we'll love it!!) I'd love to hear every detail you'd be willing to share!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Just came back from Nassau, check out seaislandadventures.com. The most relaxing and fun day of our vacation. They take you by boat (10 am) to a remote island, (showing you the sites/celebrity homes along the way) there on the island they give you snorkel equipment (gorgeous reefs), kayaks, tubes to float on, hammocks in the trees, paddle boats, or just chaise lounges to relax in. Around 1:00 lunch is served, fried chicken, bahamian rice, barbeque chicken, hot dogs, fruit, rum punch or white wine. Fruit punch is served all day free or they have a cash bar. At 3:00 you head back. This most the least expensive and best excursion of our vacation, there was something for everyone. They even picked us up and and brought us back to our hotel. You have to check about pickups from cruise ships but I'm guessing they do because they are close by. Any other questions about it, I'll check back. Good luck and enjoy!

virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

We will be arriving in Nassau in 2 weeks on royal caribean. the excursion for the waverunners is $95 for 50 minutes. Does anyone know of a waverunner rental that would be cheaper?

5. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 14, 2005
6. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Leslie,

Snorkelling is very good there. It was like something you'd see on tv. Like I said, great deal for the money! Let me know if you go.

8. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Leslieshare,

THere's really not very good snorkeling from the beaches.

The reef system surrounding Nassau and Paradise Island has been seriously depleted due to over use, boating and other things.

There are a few places around that you'll find a few interesting things to see (in front of Radisson for instance). But compared to the snorkeling trips to Anthol Island, the Sea Gardens , Rose Island or the west end with Stuart Cove, you really don't see much.

You may see a few fishes here and there, but on tours, you'll see thousands of bright colorful fishes, purple and gold fans, tons of live coral heads and more. It's worth the $$$. Believe me.

Cleveland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nassau For the Day suggestions please

Just got back from a trip aboard the Carnival Fantasy!!!! Carnival always does a great job of creating entertainment for everyone, including children.

I must say I had a ball! The deck parties and games were very enjoyable. Kareokee with fellow passengers was also a thing to remember. It is an absolute must that you go to the "Not So NewlyWed Game." It was hilarious and in great fun. Just a warning, the comedianne is not for children!!!!!

The food was absolutely wonderful and in great abundance. There are two dining rooms, both equally nice. If you choose not to go to the formal dinners, there is always the buffet. In the mornings I would like to recommend eating in the Celebration dining room (Jubilee not open) rather than the buffet. It is more intimate and you can look out at the ocean from a better view.

The rooms were very well appointed. Everything you need is there. For a first time cruiser, you may not understand why boat staterooms are so small, but they are. The beds are very comfortable and Carnival has some of the biggest stateroom windows in the industry.

My cruise (Fantasy) left Port Canaveral on Sunday, August 14th headed to Freeport and Nassau.