We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars in nassau

CARROLLTON, GA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars in nassau

will be going to nassau on the 7/17 for 12 days. we usually rent a car as we do not like to depend on taxis to p/u and take us somewhere and we like to explore on our on time. Has anyone used any of the rental agencies in nassau? On ST. Marten you could haggle and get a good deal. The agencies had people meeting you and offering you deals when you arrived at airport. Were able to shop around in Aruba also. We will be diving most of the the time in morning and like to explore in afternoon. Anyone have any good beaches they have found that are off the beaten path?

Mentioned in this post
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars in nassau

You might want to change your mind about renting a car for your entire trip. A day or so to explore would suffice, as there is really not much to see beyond the tourist areas. The island is very small and flat, roadways are in disrepair, no signs or street lights, and traffic is horrendous most of the day (except sundays). Bahamian drivers are crazy, driving is on the left and there is parking is always a problem.

I would recommend you either head east or west of town, and stay along the shore. You'll come across some open areas that are quite nice. Not much beach, since it's very rocky (jutting coral formations not much sand). South Beach and Adelaide would be the areas I would head towards. You probably wouldn't spend more than an hour or two finding and exploring either.

As for agencies - Nassau is the capital, and you won't find much haggleing. The have Hertz and Budget and Dollar, at prices you'll find in any major city.

Area Code is 242

Downtown Nassau - Avis 326-6380 Dollar 325-3716

Paradise Island - Avis 363-2061 Budget 363-3095

Cable Beach Avis 322-2889

Nassau Airport Avis 377-7121

Budget 377-7405

Dollar 377-7301

Hertz 377-8684

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Paradise Island
Paradise Island
New Providence Island
Cable Beach
Cable Beach
1,946 Reviews
New Providence Island
indy
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars in nassau

i'd say get there and explore a couple of days using the jitneys. then decide if you reeeeaalllly need a car or not. we've been there twice and seen a lot and never needed or wanted a car.

Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars in nassau

I agree...We were there for 8 days and really didn't need a car at all. For snorkelling trips, they would pick us up, for getting into town to shop we took the number 10 bus for a buck. We were picked up at the airport by the hotel and same way back. I know, I would NEVER drive in Nassau...first of all you drive on the opposite side of the street and the roads are unreal.

We did rent a car in Aruba, that was different, but we only did it for a day.

I really don't think you'll need one, play it by ear.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Get answers to your questions about Nassau