We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

I apologize in advance for the lengthy review, but felt it necessary due to the nature of my recent trip to Nassau. I wanted 5 star luxury without the five star price, while celebrating the best of everything as I proposed to my significant other this past weekend....

By way of brief background, Graycliff is a very large property located in the heart of Old Downtown Nassau. There are a total of 14 suites, with 6 private cottages. The grounds are enormous. The rooms are very generous, being divided into one or more subparts. We stayed from Friday night to Sunday morning. How many guests did we see during our stay???....ONE. The grounds are older, about 300 years to be exact, but are well-maintained. Service is excellent. They have a Cigar Factory on property that is world-famous. They will deliver cigars to your suite on request. I have visited Nassau approximately 10 times over the past 4 years, and the people were the friendliest they have ever been this time around, especially at Graycliff. After reading 100's of reviews (Mostly on Tripadvisor; thanks), I "rolled the dice" on Graycliff. I will not stay anywhere else. Here is the kicker: The price. $279.00 for a suite per night. Also, ask for the "travel agent" discount, and they should give you another 10% off of that. Even the highest end suite/cottage is only $400.00 a night; this cannot be matched anywhere on the island; notwithstanding the fact that you will feel like you own your own castle for a weekend!!!! As some of you know, think about what you get in Nassau for a little under 300 bucks. Again, seclusion and service cannot be beat!!! A couple minor issues;...The water in the room got to lukewarm at best, and it was quite noisy from surrounding traffic and dogs barking throughout the first night. However, this could have been just a fluke with the night and where our room was. The pros far outweighed the two minor issues that we really had no control over, anyway.

So; my advice, STAY at Graycliff, GAMBLE at Atlantis, and EAT at The One and Only Ocean Club. Speaking of which, my now fiance and I had a wonderful 5 star dinner at The Courtyard Terrace at The One and Only Ocean Club for less than $250.00. That INCLUDED cocktails. However, DO NOT order wine there, unless you want to pay literally 400% on a mark-up. Never really understood it; they had $25.00 dollar bottles of wine for over $100.00 there. I mean, don't sell that cheap wine at those prices...??!!! If you're going to gouge, I say do it on the high-end wines and keep that "other stuff" off the list, if at all. The cheap wines did take a little away from the whole wine list selection; but, overall, who cares, right??

I chartered a boat Saturday morning, and proposed to my girlfriend on the deserted North Side of Rose Island. Worth the Money and planning...She said YES on a deserted island off of the Coast of Nassau. I recommend to use BareFoot Sailing for catamarans or boat usage/rental.

Don't get me wrong, Atlantis is great. As a matter of fact, we literally walked-in to the Five Twins on Friday night for Sushi. (Remember a gratuity is included, and they don't usually tell you that...) The wonderful lounge singer came over and serenaded my girlfriend unexpectedly, against the backdrop of the marble floors and the yachts that were in for the boat show.

Please write back with any questions or comments. Thanks TripAdvisor, and to everyone heading for HOTlantis and the surrounding area; HAVE FUN!!!!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Graycliffs is certainly a class act. The restaurant has been rated the highest in the caribbean for years.

BTW.. where did you go to the beach? Did Graycliffs have a deal with any of the hotel beaches or pools?

USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Congratulations on your engagement and beautiful proposal!! I'm glad you all had a great time. What's on the menu at The Ocean Club? We were thinking about dining at the Dune. I read that you all dined at the other restaurant, but I just wanted to get a feel for the type of selections they offer. Did you all eat at Graycliff at all? If so, how was the food?

Again, congratulations!

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Scubagirrl----Thanks for asking!! Your input helped make our weekend!!!

It appeared that Graycliff had "connections" with the local charters and beach area vendors. I am not sure as to those specifics, but they could readily assist me with a charter through one of the local companies if need be. (Based on the few questions I asked, before conducting my own independent research) Having said this, the only beach we visited was the North Side of Rose Island by Charter. As you are most likely aware, there are no beaches at or near Graycliff. You would have to go to Cable Beach for the closest accessible beach. The front desk was always staffed at Graycliff, and they seemed ready at a moment's notice to assist.

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

7wonders---Thanks...

Had breakfast at Graycliff one morning. Everything made from scratch. Just fantastic; PLUS, we were, again, the only people around. The One and Only is great for dinner, as Jean-George from NYC based Jean-Georges personally started up Dune. Just outside of Dune, you walk past the garden where they grow the veggies for their salads/food. Based on the quality of the food at The Courtyard Terrace, I would say Dune and Courtyard Terrace use the same goods. Plus, and I love this, they bring out a couple small but flavor-packed dishes during the course of your meal, and say "Complements of the chef". However, this PALES in comparison to The Trump where my girlfriend and I "evacuated to" during the Hurricanes last year, where at Jean-Georges downstairs from our room, every other word was "Complements of the chef"--- 4-5 additional flavor-packed courses...But hey, that was NYC, and this is Nassau. I highly rec. Ocean Club. Filet was one of the BEST. Fishes and limited chickens, as well. Exotic appetizers. We had a captain and server; service was above average but nothing like in the States up North at a 5 star. I think it is the best for the region, in my humble opinion. Atlantis Rest. of all sorts are always good; however, for the SAME PRICE as eating at the touristy Atlantis with 2,000 other people, you can dine under the moon and the stars at The Courtyard Terrace. Dress to Impress!!!!!

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Courtyard is always one of my favorites. You can't beat the ambiance. Atlantis dining reminds me of catered affairs. Nicely presented, but far too commercial.

My step-son is getting married on Rose Island next month. Can't wait for the festivities.

USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Thanks Roddster. I've been on Ocean Club's website and the pictures are stunning. I've heard the food and atmosphere are incredible, so I definitely want to experience dinner.

Congrats on your step-son's upcoming wedding scubagirl.

So what's 'shakin on Rose Island, since both of you have been? Scuba girl you also mentioned Cat Island before, but I'll have to save that for the trip after this one. Which is a must see, Eleuthera or Rose Island? I'm already sold on Exuma.

Also, I wanted to have dinner at Sun and....., but we had planned our trip for August and I heard they are closed in August and September. Do you know anything about them?

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

7wonders - my hearts on Cat Island, but it's not for everyone. Very rural and peaceful. You are likely NOT to see another soul on the beach while you stroll along the stretches.

They just got electricity about 8 years ago, one road tip to tip, and most of that is crushed conch shells. I must admit, the beach is like powdered sugar, and I've never, ever seen anything like it.

When you're ready, let me know.

As for Rose Island, there are several tours, my favorite would be Sea Island Adventure, which includes snorkeling, native lunch, wine, volleyball and hammocks strung in the pines.

This island is much closer to Nassau, so your day on the island is longer. THis is a somewhat deserted island. No hotels, no town, no roads, just paths thru the trees, rustic showers and bathroom - even a tiny bar and souvenier stand. There are other tours - Robinson Crusoe, Barefoot Cruise and Flying Cloud which all end up at Rose Island. This tour is like Robinson Crusoe found in the bahamas.

I haven't taken any of the tours to Eleuthera, but from what I understand, you can either go to Eleuthera or Harbour Island for the day. Harbour Island is a quaint colonial village with beautiful beaches shoppes etc. Eleuthera has small hotels and properties and lovely beaches as well.

Sun And is tauted to be one of the finest establishment in the bahamas. I haven't been here in about 2 years - I'm sure it hasn't changed. The area is not all that great, but Sun And is superb. Dress code is strictly enforced.

Have a blast !

USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Before booking at Atlantis or the One and Only Ocean Club...

Thanks for the great info. I'm convinced that I need to move to the Bahamas because I can't do it all on vacations. I just love that you can go to different islands and come away with a totally different experience from each one.

I'll definitely drop you a line when we're planning our Cat Island getaway. I actually like quiet places too. We're visiting Nassau again because there were a few other islands we wanted to see and Nassau seemed to be the best location, since you can take many day trips from there at a reasonable price. Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Nassau