We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

Ok.. is it crazy to visit the Bahamas the last week of Sept.? I would normally never travel to the Caribbean during hurricane season, but two of us are dying to take a one week trip to just relax and this year, the storms seem to be a LOT less.

I've also never been to the Bahamas.. so any recommendations on which island to stay on? I'm thinking Nassau, but then not sure what part of the island is best to stay on. The British Colonial Hilton seems like it's in a good location for walking to restaurants. Thoughts... suggestions??

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera
#1 of 6 hotels in Governor's Harbour
Shannas Cove Resort
Shannas Cove Resort
#1 of 10 hotels in Cat Island
Rollezz Villas Beach Resort
Rollezz Villas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 hotels in Cat Island
Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

No, you are not crazy for wanting to visit in Sep, even though it is hurricane season.

That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY be ready to stay for 10 days instead of a week if necessary due to a storm. 90% chance you won't have to do that, but just be prepared to just in case.

I would strongly recommend skipping Nassau all together and exploring Exuma, Eleuthera or one of the other out islands.

What are you mainly into in terms of activities? That would help me suggest which islands would be a good fit.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

Ditto as Papa Fox says. Should you decide on the British Colonial Hilton, thought it is a very nice business/tourist hotel, know that though it is indeed right in town, it is not a great place to walk around after dark. Always take taxis, even if it's just a short walk. Day time is fine for wandering around, but once shops close, traffic dies down and cruise ships leave, it is not a safe place to wander about. Have a look at the Melia or one of the Cable Beach hotels for walking to restaurants and the like. What activities are you interested in doing/seeing? That will help to suggest possible out islands for you, though most first timers start with Abaco or Eleuthera as the more developed ones.

Mentioned in this post
Cable Beach
Cable Beach
1,945 Reviews
New Providence Island
Abaco Islands
Abaco Islands
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
St. Louis
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

Thank you! I don't know enough about the islands to tell you any specific sights I'd like to see, but I love boat excursions .. days out on the water .. snorkeling .. visiting different islands. Suggestions?

Any thoughts on Grand Bahama Island?

Mentioned in this post
Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

For boating, I would suggest Marsh Harbor in the Abaco's or Great Exuma. If you are more adventerous and are a DIY type of traveler like I am, Staniel Cay in the middle of the Exuma Chain is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay
Out Islands
North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

Keep in mind that many restaurants and hotels in the Abacos are closed during September. A recent thread indicated that some restaurants on Great Exuma are also currently closed. Based on past experience, if you stay in a rental home and a named storm is headed your way, you will be told to leave so the house can be prepared for the storm. Check the storm policy before making a reservation. A large hotel is more likely to let you stay during a storm, but don't expect a normal level of service.

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
6. Re: Bahamas at the end of Sept.. Crazy? Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 04, 2015