We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

Columbus Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

Can anyone help me decide whether to take a flight or the fast ferry from Harbour Island to Atlantis? We will be traveling with middle school aged kids and are spending the last few days at Atlantis. It sounds like the ferry is 3 + hours which is a bit long. Anyone know what to expect from that ride? Is is relatively smooth? Anyone have experience flying on BahamasAir?

Thank you!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

I've done both. If you're not in a great hurry, I'd opt for the Fast Ferry. It's a pretty smooth ride and the views can't be beat. There's TV's, Snack bars etc for the hungry and restless. Arrange for a taxi to be waiting for you. We use www.sandrastaxibahamas.com

I usually try to steer away from Bahamas Air as I have yet to have a smooth interaction with them. They are either delayed, lost my reservation, surly or just plain unprofessional. They will get you there, but it's usually with some sort of drama or annoyance.

Of course, if the weather isn't agreeable, neither will be smooth.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

The school kids will love the Ferry ride. The views are spectacular, especially going in and out of Spanish Wells. The vast size of the oceans will also mesmerize them as much as it did on my first of seven one day ferry excursions to Harbour Island and Eleuthera.

The Ferry does take 3 hours, but with a nice cabin inside with TV's and the views outside in the rear, the time will go by fast.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

Another vote for the ferry - by the time you include travel back and forth to the airports and check-in time, I think it wins hands down.

Columbus Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

Sounds like the kids will love it, thank you. Any tips for seating on the ferry? Is it assigned or first come, first serve? I'm actually the one who gets seasick so I'll take Dramamine but the more I can see and get fresh air the better!

Columbus Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

Thank You!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

The seating is not assigned. There is a first class cabin upstairs but it's prob. not worth it. The ferry seats about 400 so there are lots of empty seats always. Outside in the rear there are about 50 seats. The ferry is very stable having a twin catamaran type wide hull. Unless the seas are choppy, the ride is pretty smooth.

7. Re: Getting from Harbour Island to Atlantis - best options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 18, 2015