We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One less Flamingo Air plane....

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
One less Flamingo Air plane....

A chartered Flamingo Air plane, a Cessna 402 crashed in Mayaguana this morning. Thankfully, no injuries, but the plane was badly damaged when the nose gear collapsed on landing. Apparently, the pilot was unfamiliar with the runway, whichi is under construction and unpaved in sections.

So for those who have upcoming flights on Flamingo, you may want to check to see if your flight is still going and if there are any schedule changes as a result of one less plane in the fleet.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
1. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

One of the strict rules of aviation is that a pilot must be familiar with all aspects of a proposed flight. That includes, weather conditions at the airports of departure and arrival in addition to weather enroute. Also, the pilot must be familiar with all current notices regarding temporary or permanent conditions of the departing and arriving airports. Since, according to Dusty-traveller, the pilot was unaware of the conditions of the airport he was flying to, the probable cause of this incident will be the pilot's lack of knowledge about current conditions at the destination airport.

Being a Private Pilot, I know all the rules of flying.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
59 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

that sucks!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
3. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

Very glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Was it Flamingo (or Pineapple) who did a no-landing gear landing in Long Island last year? Nobody was hurt on that one either.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
4. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

It was a Southern Air plane landing at Deadmans Cay in Long Island March 2012 when the landing gear collapsed. Again no injuries, but 9 passengers aboard.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

One plane missing from a fleet can cause all sorts of havoc! I was scheduled on Pineapple to Long Island in 2012, on the day one of their planes was stolen (did it ever come back from Haiti?). Not only was my flight to Long Island cancelled (they rebooked me on Southern Air) my flight back to Nassau two weeks later was cancelled (they rebooked me on Bahamas Air, but a late flight which meant I missed connections all along the journey home).

I'm glad nobody was hurt!!!

Safe Travels!

6. Re: One less Flamingo Air plane....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 09, 2014