We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,518 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

Issued today by the Bahamas Department of Meteorology.

The text of the Statement is as follows:

A deepening low pressure center off the Carolina Coast is generating moderate to dangerous large swells which will propagate southward during the next seven days. Moderate to heavy swells have begun bombarding the coastline of the more eastern islands of the Bahamas Chain including the Turks and Caicos Islands.

These dangerous swells, which could exceed 22 feet during their peak on Sunday, will result in sea spray and overtopping water, particularly around Long Warf, Go-Slow Bend, Saunders Beach, areas in the vicinity of the Cave, West Bay Street, Eastern New Providence, the Glass Window Bridge in Eleuthera and other areas throughout the archipelago vulnerable to sea swells.

Motorists should exercise extreme caution along coastal roads

particularly during the peak of these swells on Sunday. Home-dwellers along coastal areas are advised to take every precaution to protect lives and property.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,518 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

A second drowning in 3 days on Cabbage Beach. Despite warning signs, people are still swimming. The water is still rough and there are rip currents. Both drownings were people who went in the water to save other people who had gotten into trouble. Please use common sense out there, folks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

Amazing that it was another, this time local, deceased hero. You would think the locals know how powerful the surf can be on Cabbage Beach. A few years back, I tried to go in one day when the beach was red flagged. The huge waves that hit the drop off in the surf tossed me like a rag doll when it's powerful undertow receded back to sea. If I recall correctly I did hit the bottom with my shoulder, luckily not my head.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

The second victim worked on Cabbage Beach as an umbrella vendor. He really should have known better but I guess he was not aware of the saying "discretion is the better part of valor".

14. Re: FYI -- Weather alert for travellers in the Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 16, 2014