We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

My hubby and I are headed down to Sandals Bahamian during the first week of September. I have heard mixed things about this resort.

Can anyone please just give me the low down on how it is??

How are the high-end suites? Is worth the money to get the butler service?

Hopefully September has nice weather....I am always worried about the rain.

Any advice is always helpful.

Thanks

Arkansas
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

I loved my time at Sandals - but maybe I am one of those hyping it up.

We stayed in a Honeymoon Oceanview concierge room in the Windsor building. It was a large room - but honestly only a little better than a regular hotel room. We did have a large tub and a nice balcony that overlooked the ocean and property. It had a king size canopy bed and an sitting area. Also the mini bar was included - but we rarely used it. Yes, the furniture was a little worn - but its a hotel room what do you expect?

The Butler suites have HUGE balconies - but i have heard mixed reviews on the butlers.

As far as I am concerned the food was top-notch. Yes, many of the dinner restaraunts had limited menus - but I always found something I wanted. The mixed drinks were never watered down and were yummy. Yes, there was not a great wine or beer selection, but they did carry lots of nicer liquors.

The resort was always kept clean- we constantly saw employees cleaning up. The hot tubs can be lukewarm - others are great. The pools are not heated so they can be cold. But they are large and fun when busy. I never had any problem finding a chair.

The property itself is beautiful - bright colors, lots of flowers, etc. We enjoyed exploring. The main beach is a little small, but the water never seemed too crowded.

If you go to have fun, your will. It you are superpicky then you may be dissapointed. We had a great time and I would definately go back.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

I just got back from SRB - I had a great experience.

The staff were excellent. Friendly and always delivered. They move a bit slow but always do what they say. Also extremely nice and a joy to have a conversation with.

The food. I enjoyed it a lot. The menu may have been a bit limited but you have a decent number of places to try. If you are there for a week or less there is more than enough variety. I felt the evening meals were the best (Baccarat and Cafe Goombay being my favorite), followed by breakfast buffets. Lunch at Royal Cafe never did much for me but I enjoyed the simple burgers and dogs grilled near the beach.

Agree that wine and beer selection is almost nonexistent (and I like my beer) but acquired a taste for Kalik (local beer). Mixed drinks were fine.

I didn't find the beach/pool area to be overcrowded but I tended to camp out at the far end in front of the manor house.

I enjoyed swimming, snorkeling, scuba, sailing. There were plenty of activities.

Agree there were things I could have nit-picked but I had a great experience and will consider Sandals for future vacations.

Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

When did you guys go? I am either booking August 27th-Septmeber 3rd or September 3rd to September 11th. I am scared becuase, everything I read state that it is hurricane season. I know we cant predict the weather but, after spending so much money I am afraid that it will rain.

I even spoke to a travel agent today and he said stay away from Bahamas in August, September and October.

Any tips would be so greatly apperciated.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

I am not a Bahamas expert by any means.

I went April 27th of this year.

We were thinking of going in October but decided to not risk the hurricanes. Sandals has a hurricane guarantee (another trip if hurricane force winds hit the resort).

It was pretty windy for the first three days but we still had fun. Was even better when the wind died though!

Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Sandals, Bahamain hyped up?

Hyped up?? NO! We were there in February and it is the only place I've ever been that looked just like the brohure pictures. True, the hot tubs weren't hot, but the weather was so we didn't care. That could have been the only thing that wasn't perfect for us. We can't wait to go back already.