We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Maids?

With my nose in a...
Level Contributor
776 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Maids?

Usually when we go on vacation we leave the lady that cleans our room a little gift each day of toiletries, candy etc and a couple of dollars. Could anybody please tell me if this is appropriate in the Bahamas? We have never vacationed there before and do not want to offend anybody.

Thank you! :0>

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping Maids?

I tip everyone. Bring lots of ones, fives, bills. I also leave gifts along with a money. I incorporate it into my stay. I tip waitress/waitors at home therefore I should anywhere else.

I disagree with the CSIMCO statement. Does that mean that you don't tip at home either?

Oh well.

I know people in the tourism and hospitality industry as with any profession, you want to show your appreciation for good service.

Bon voyage!

USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping Maids?

I agree with the majority and I also tip well. It truly is better to give and it makes you feel good too. I never thought to leave a small gift though. For those of you that do, what types of gifts or trinkets do you normally leave? I'll have to follow in your footsteps on this one. Thanks.

Flourtown, PA
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping Maids?

I am a little confused. We were told that if the staff accepts tips, and the managers find out, staff could get in trouble, and I certainly would not want to get the best staff in the world in trouble. We wanted to tip, but did not want anyone to see it, and weren't sure who was management and who wasn't. I am talking about Breezes.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping Maids?

It depends on the country and the poverty level. Since the bahamas is not a poor country, I usually leave things that I would like. Scented lotions from Bath Works or Victorias Secret, Bubble bath, Small beaded change purses with a few bucks inside (we get them in NYC on the street). Chinatown slippers etc.

Bahamians shop in the states, so they have access to most everything we do.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping Maids?

Hey Brooker, I don't give the tips out in the open. Once you have been there and you know the housekeepers name you can hand it to them at the end of your vacation or during. They usually turn it down a time or two, but I tell them it's between me and them. I then ask if they will be on my floor (they are assigned weekly housekeeping floors) if they tell me yes I leave an envelope with their name on it, but prefer to hand it to them directly just in case someone cleans the room.

USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping Maids?

Thanks for the gift ideas. I'll keep this in mind on my future trips. It adds a nice touch instead of giving a few singles all the time. Thanks again.