We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

2 posts
1 review
Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

Hi all,

I am after some recommendations for the best Island to suit my partner and I and our group of friends. We are in our mid 20's, love the beach, snorkelling, a laid back vibe, exploring & evenings out at bars meeting fellow travellers. We are hoping to find an island whereby we may get a beach to ourselves at some point however not to far from some touristy areas with restaurants, bars and a chilled atmosphere. I have heard about some islands having buggies to get around on which sound like great fun! Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers from Aus xxx

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

I would love to know as well. Planning a similar trip for next year.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
2. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

It's hard to find an island with deserted beaches and touristy areas nearby. Some of the out islands like Exuma,, Eleuthera, and Abaco you will have beautiful beaches to yourselves but there are limited resorts and restaurants. Harbour Island and Spanish Wells are smaller and you use golf carts to get around. Harbour Island can be expensive but it is a compromise between privacy and tourism, and there are direct flights from Florida to nearby north Eleuthera, and then a short water taxi to Harbour Island.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

Try Elbow Cay, Green Turtle Cay or Great Guana Cay in the Abacos. Or Great Exuma or Staniel Cay in the Exumas.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

very good suggestions, jungledriver- so agree for first timer. question: can any of you operate a small outboard boat - 18-21 ft (or, better yet, 24 ') ?

2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

Thank you your help, yes my partner can

6. Re: Which island in the Bahamas for first timers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 11, 2018