We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Hi, I'm hoping a Caneel veteran (palmhill?) can help me with this.

My wife and I will be at Caneel for a week next month. We're planning to rent a car for three days and stay on the resort premises the rest of the time. So when we don't have a car, we'll be eating our meals at Caneel.

Three questions about the rather pricey meal plans:

1) Can you get a meal plan for selected days, and if so, can you choose day by day (or at least choose upon arrival), as opposed to having to sign up beforehand? We are booked on the European (no-meals) plan.

2) If you have a meal plan, can you have dinner at any of the restaurants?

3) Given that we're more or less obliged to eat at the resort several days anyway, would we be saving money by getting the meal plan for those days?

One more question: At about $25 per taxi ride into Cruz Bay and back for the two of us, I'm not thrilled with that option. Can you get the ViITran buses between Caneel and town?

Thanks for any information and opinions.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

I think I would try to rent the car starting the day after your arrival. That way you can familiarize yourself with the entire island and get a feel for eating off of the property. The first night you will be tired and you might want to grab a light dinner at the bar on property or eat someplace very low key,so do not go on the meal plan for the first night. The next three evenings you should not be on the meal planif you have a rental car. The meal plans start at dinner and depending on whether you choose Map or the full Fap you will still be saving $$ in all of the restaurants with the exception of the bar restaurant. All of the restaurants are included in the plan,the only thing that is not included is bar drinks and soda,I would call and ask which nights each of the restaurants are open as all three are rarely open on the same evening.You can only go on the plan or off the plan once,they really don't allow going back and forth between EP and a meal plan but if you do not like the food and feel happier off the plan you may be able to sign off of the plan.You can opt for a plan after you arrive so do not worry about having to decide before you get there.Keep in mind that there is a complimentary continental breakfast for early risers before 8 a.m. and I believe there is also some form of comp breakfast at the tennis center until 9a.m. There is also a very nice complimentary afternoon tea at turtle bay with scones, cookies etc at 4 pm. at turtle bay.Monday night there is also a comp. managers cocktail party with snacks and rum punch etc.You will not go hungry at caneel.I never saw the bus on the north shore so you might want to ask pia or julie about the bus. Call caneel and request a fridge in your room.You can go to the star market and stock up on some snacks for lunches if you choose the map plan.The rooms also have a small cooler so I stock up on soda,etc and carry it to any of the 7 wonderful beaches.It is a great place to unwind.Enjoy your trip.I know it must be freezing on Winnepsaukee right now.We go up to Lake Wentworth every summer and it is still cold. You are going to love the water temp.Have a great time.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Thanks a lot for the information. Yes, the big lake is freezing by now, but I think that until about a week ago, there was no ice--crazy winter that now seems to be becoming normalized somewhat. I spend a lot of time at the lake in the summer, but I live about 80 miles south of there, so I'm not really sure about the conditions--but it has finally turned cold.

We're reasonably familiar with the island, this being our third winter visit in a row (very habit-forming locale). Based on your reviews of the Caneel food, and our fondness for some of the places in both towns, we'll minimize our exposure there. Is the bar restaurant open for dinner every night, and decent? I could see sticking with that for our on-site nights, and doing our splurging in town.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

If you are not on the meal plan the bar is o.k. Do not expect great service or food from the bar.It is my least favorite option on the property but it is also the least expensive alacarte option.If you are going to opt for the meal plan definately take advantage of the pricier options at caneel.The dinners at turtle bay or at the equator can easily run upwards of $150.00 for two depending on appetizer,entree and dessert.If you are not into over doing the eating you can always not do any meal plan and still sample the more upscale restaurants at caneel by sharing a few appetizers ,or an entree.We thought the desserts at the equator were great this year,but in general the food was not wonderful....but we go for the beaches not the food.Do you ever get down to ogunquit Maine...that is also one of our summertime favorite spots.I am not a big fan of the carib lobster because new england has spoiled me.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

wpsaukee: I'm going to Caneel in March and am having trouble getting rental car for 2/3 days. Who did you make arrangements with? Thanks

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

I called Caneel. They told me that there would be no problem getting a car for wahtever period I need it.

She said she could make a note of the days I would want a car, but tht it isn't necessary.

Apparently they get the cars through Hertz. $85/day for a Jeep Wrangler.

It might be worth going to the Hertz Web site to see what you come up with if you request a car in Cruz Bay. On my previous trips, I haven't really thought about Hertz. I've rented at the airport in STT and from Courtesy in Cruz Bay, but for longer than 2-3 days.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

the hertz office was closed in stj when we were there in dec.The concierge arranged for a 3 day car rental with spencers.It was for a liberty at around 85 each day.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Thanks to you both. I have rented throught the concierge before but last few times there were many mix ups. Thought I would try the direct route.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Palmhill, on your reference to Ogunquit--I've been there only once or twice, and not for many years, but I know people tend to love it.

And yes, New England lobster is king.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

I have also felt that Acadia National Park is very similar to stj in feeling,another place endowed by the Rockefellers.Have a great time.I have found Kathy and Brittany to be helpful at the concierge desk.Roma, Novella,Emily,and Chad were also great at the front desk.Good luck.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions on Caneel meal plan - calling palmhill?

Hi wpsaukee...just an additional note. We did the meal plan this past year at Caneel and found that we ended up paying extra most nights, anyway, as they charge extra if you go over a certain $$ amount. Don't recall now what it was, and I don't know if this is a new thing or not. I don't think we had to do this in past years.

In any case, however, we had excellent meals at the Equator. I know the restaurants have gotten some negative reviews on this forum, but we ate at the Equator three nights of our stay and loved everything...perhaps it was just a good week. In any case the chef from Nobu in NYC was down the following week with demos, etc. so we might have just timed things right. We also enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffets by the beach.

If you're a hiker, you can hike to Cruz Bay via the trail past Honeymoon Beach. Allow 30-45 min. depending on how fast you walk.