We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Wife and I are planning a trip and I have started my research. It appears the rooms are more private on Scott Beach (no one above/below) but the beach may be better at Hawksnest due to it's privacy? Thoughts?

Also does being on Hawksnest impact the bar service due to it's location?

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

I love Hawksnest. It's a morning beach and the sun is less intense in the afternoon. The rooms on the ends of the buildings on the second floor are among our favorites at Caneel. They have two great balconies. I know there are quite a few Scott fans, but my husband is not among them. The rooms are great though.

Bar service is much better on Scott.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

I might add, don't limit yourself to the beach where your room is. Of course, it's nice to walk right out the door onto the beach but Scott is, at most, a three minute walk from Hawksnest and Turtle is about 5 minutes from either. You could even take the shuttle to Turtle from either Scott or Hawksnest if you're carrying towels and snorkel equipment. (You wouldn't take a shuttle between Scott and Hawksnest because it's basically the same stop.)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

We stayed at Scott for several trips and loved it. I never found privacy to be an issue. Once we had a kid, we moved over to Hawksnest. As the pp mentioned, the end unit, second floor rooms are good. Facing the water, we stayed on the top floor of the last building on the left. I liked that room.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

We always enjoy spending our afternoons on Hawknest, but we love staying on Scott. Scott is single story so no one is above you or below you and it is not as windy. The snorkeling is good on both beaches and we spent an afternoon just counting turtles once at Hawknest. We have enjoyed all of the beaches so no matter where you stay, be sure to spend time on all beaches. One trip when our kids were teenagers we made it a point to spend time on each of the 7 beaches. Each has its own personality and great snorkeling spots. Scott is our favorite because it is less windy and it is a wider, more sweeping beach so people can spread out more (not that there is ever more than a few people on any beach (except Caneel beach can get crowded for my taste). The main reasons we choose Scott over Hawknest is the space on the beach and view of the channel. (I have stayed on Scott, but only visited friends rooms on Hawknest - Scotts rooms are the older of the two, but classic Caneel while Hawksnest seemed a little more modern, more light in the large glass windows). You can't go wrong anywhere on Caneel! We love it!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

I've never been in a room on either Scott or Hawksnest, so I can't comment on that aspect. I love Scott for its calm water, but for my money, Hawksnest is the most visually spectacular of any of Caneel's beaches, and in fact I think the view from there is among the best on the island.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Hawksnest Beach can get hit with the North Swell in the winter months making for breaking surf. Scott Beach is very protected. There are moorings off of Scott Beach, so you'll see the occasional boat come and go.

Cheers, RickG

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Let me echo that there is no bad choice of beach front rooms at Caneel. We have stayed at both Hawksnest and Turtle. Each beach is unique and quiet. Hawksnest is breezy, which tends to keep down the mosquitos, etc. Turtle is a little more intimate, and you can hop up the steps from the beach to grab snacks at tea time. I prefer Hawksnest, my wife prefers Turtle. We had a lower level room at each beach and had no issues with surrounding rooms. My impression is that these beaches are somewhat less crowded in the afternoon.

We have never had a room at Scott. We have spoken to a number of people who were staying at Scott. A few of them commented there was a lot of foot traffic on the beach off their patios from other guests coming and going from rooms to the beach. Maybe some other poster can comment on this. We make it a habit to spend afternoons on Scott. Good turtle activity and as pointed out it is calmer. We usually set down at the end of the beach closer to Cottage 7 as opposed to the Scott beach room area. Its a little less crowed there, although crowded is a relative term at Caneel. Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

Is hawksnest a rocky beach?

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawksnest vs. Scott Beach

All the beaches at Caneel (and most of the North Shore) are super soft sand. There are some rocks along the sides of some of them. In my opinion, they are about as perfect as beaches can get.

Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay