We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20-30% chance of showers

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
20-30% chance of showers

I am leaving tomorrow for St. John and just checked the weather. It doesn't look too good, can anyone make me feel better and tell me if the storms/showers for St. John and St. Thomas are quick passing like some of the other islands, or not? Is there a possibility that it could be raining on one side but not the other? I have been to Jamiaca about 8 times and they call it liquid sunshine there and most of the time it passes quickly, but not always. I wanted to get some feedback before I tell my husband :)

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20-30% chance of showers

Relax, they usually pass very quickly. Very rarely do you have a full day of rain, and yes, it can rain on one side and be beautiful on the other. I believe the forecast always says that. Have a great time!

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 20-30% chance of showers

O.K. Thanks!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 20-30% chance of showers

We had a local resident describe it to us as a 20-30% chance of showers meant that 2-3 days out of 10 you are likely to get hit with a spot shower in the afternoon. (As someone mentioned, these come and go quickly.)

If they predict 40% or more, there is likely a weather system that might produce "real" rain. (We did have "real" rain a couple days.)

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
248 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20-30% chance of showers

Just got back on Wednesday. Arrived 29 May. The forecast was 40% showers the whole time. Bottom line: it poured a couple of nites (great for the cisterns) and was gorgeous 99% of the time. We did have one afternoon when it rained for about 20 minutes with the sun still shining. No worries...

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20-30% chance of showers

Thanks everyone--I had the same question. Am leaving for St. John in about a week!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands