We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jeep rental

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
jeep rental

I am staying at Caneel Bay for 3 nights and it looks like it might be a good idea to rent a jeep. So far I checked with Conrad and L & L jeep rental, they both have a minimum, one for 3 and one for 5 day rental. I only wanted to rent for 2 days, does anyone have any suggestions? I did notice on their website that if you walk in you can rent for day, but if you make an advance reservation there is a minimum. What have other people done?

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jeep rental

Try to ask the concierge to rent for you.they usually have some extra leverage with the car rental places and will even have someone pick you up on the property.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: jeep rental

How much in advance do you think they need? Is this something I should wait to ask for when I get there, or should I contact them now? It would be nice to have someone bring the jeep to the property.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jeep rental

Even though I don't think it is necessary, I would do it now. It is nice to have all your ducks in a row before you arrive so that you can maximize on your relaxation time!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jeep rental

...call st.john car rental...........776.6103

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jeep rental

Just back from St John and my brother in law had some problems with Conrad Sutton (see post). He finished his week out with a three day rental from Delbirt Hill. He literally walked two doors down from Conrads to Delberts and rented it on the spot (5/23). Phone number is (340) 776-6637. Good Luck

Florida City...
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jeep rental

I just got back from 7 glorious days on ST John. I used St John car rental. I thought they were great. I got the Vitatara for the full 7 days, the best decision ever! They are right by the ferry too so you can walk back to the ferry after dropping the vehicle off. I saw several people walk in without reservations as I was picking up my rental. They had cars available on the spot. You will love the freedom of going anywhere at anytime on your own. If you plan to explore the whole island, like I did, I would recommend a vehicle with a little more power than the suzuki vitara. It had a hard time on some of the roads there. Texaco in cruz bay was the only gas station I found that took credit cards and gas was around 3.60/gallon. Just some info for you!!

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: jeep rental

Thank you for the advice about the gas station, especially since we will probably be using our card. Wow a little more expensive than here, but I'm sure well worth the cost. :)

Thanks again, everyone for all your advice, now I just have to set something up.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: jeep rental

Well I tried to rent thru St. John Car rental but they said that they have nothing at all available for this whole month. Any other suggestions?

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: jeep rental

Courtesy said that they have availability, so I will try renting with them.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: jeep rental

I ended up renting with Courtesy, they sent someone to pick my husband and I up at the resort and brought us in town. No hidden costs so that was nice. The only negative thing is that they gave us a really old jeep and they took the sides off. It would have been o.k. if rain wasn't in the forecast, but when the rain came, and it did, it came in sideways and I got soaked. When they said that they were giving it to us without the sides I told them that we weren't responsible for any damage from the rain and they agreed, so that was cool. The only other thing that was a negative, but nothing to do with Courtesy is the parking situation, it was really hard to find a parking spot in Cruz bay, and lots of signs saying that they will tow. My husband and I were fortunate that we didn't get towed, cause we ending up parking at a sort of strip mall.