We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

I'm getting married at Caneel Bay at the end of June and am thinking about staying either in the Premium Ocean Front or Premium Ocean View during our 4 days at Caneel. Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to one over the other? I've heard that Caneel tries to upgrade the couples who are getting married at the resort to a higher accommodation level than reserved. Does anyone has an experience with this? We are pretty laid-back but for $600/night and for our wedding, we would like to make the right choice and stay in a nice room. This is a bit of a concern after reading some of the negative comments about room conditions some people posted here.

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Bluesail - I am getting married on STJ on May 13 and staying at Caneel in the Premium Oceanfront rooms (we're not getting married at Caneel though). From what I've heard, the Premium Ocean View are more private than the oceanfront. I am assuming this is because you are on a second floor with the ocean view and don't have people walking in front of your room on their way to the beach. I can fill you in when I get back if you can wait that long. Good luck!

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Bluesail, The premium ocean view rooms are located in an area of the property known as Cottage Point. Premium ocean front is on Scott Beach. I prefer the Cottage Point rooms as they are more private. While not on the beach, they generally consist of small buildings (thus the "Cottages") with 2 or 3 units. These are placed between Caneel Beach and Paradise Beach. You can walk to beaches from here in 3/4 minutes. I just returned from a stay in #61 which had a large, private patio, almost a courtyard, looking out from the point to the water. Great sunset views. It is great to be on the beach but some have complained about a lack of privacy. The premium beach rooms are connected together in a string of 5/6 to a building. So, your patio will be adjoined on at least one side with that of another room. Again, for some being steps off the beach overcomes this point. And, Scott Beach is beautiful. You can download a property map from the Caneel web site. The only upgrade from premium beach rooms would be into Cottage 7, which is difficult to get. Hope this helps. Congrats on the wedding.

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Psulions99 - congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I would love it if you would let me know how did it go in CB when you come back from your honeymoon... Thanks a lot!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

I have been to Caneel Bay many times...the first time about twenty-five years ago! I've stayed in several places and loved them all. I honestly don't think you can go wrong UNLESS you get a tennis garden room. Not bad, but you aren't on the beach and don't have a view. Otherwise, even the standard ocean view rooms are quite nice -- some sitting on a hill above Caneel Beach with lovely views. Most of the rooms are one floor, although some, especially on Hawksnest Beach, are two floors. I've never stayed in one of these as I prefer one floor...it's quieter and more private. The premium ocean front rooms on Scott Beach have a great location, BUT some of the other rooms further back on the hill have better views. AND, I believe the Scott Beach rooms are either going to be renovated this summer or sometime soon, so they might not be in the best condition... Any ocean view room will likely be great...splurge on a room in cottage 7 if you can get it and afford it. This is where Henry Kissinger used to stay and I believe both Walter Mondale and Al Gore spent their "after the election" days at cottage 7...

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
532 Reviews
St. John
Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Hi Blusail!

I'm getting married at Caneel in late August and would love some feedback from you on your wedding when you get back! After much deliberation, we booked our room on Cottage Point...i'm sure any room group you choose will be great!

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Hi,

I will gladly let you know about my experience when I get back. But you should know that our wedding is going to be very small, so my experience maybe somewhat limited. If you have specific questions about a bigger wedding, you may want to check the forums for posts by Kimwa -- she had a bigger wedding at Caneel few months ago and was very happy with the experience. She posted few comments and pics on Tripadvisor that I found helpful. BTW - we booked our room at Cottage Point as well.... Congratulations!

Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Congrats to you too! I've seen some of Kimwa's pictures and they were very helpful. We're also having a small wedding - 10 people. Have a great trip!

St Croix, U.S...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for my wedding @ Caneel

Have you booked your wedding photographer?

I'm a professional wedding photographer from Houston, Texas on assignment in St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Take a look at my website, www.COX-PHOTO.com, for a representative sample of some of my work.

Call me at 713-443-6287 if interested.

Regards,

Joe Cox

COX PHOTO

Photographer

(713) 443-6287

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
St. Croix
St. Croix