We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

Is this a walkable distance or is taxi necessary?

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

If you wanted to go on a hike then it is walkable- if you are looking to go in and shop or eat you need a taxi.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

Well, it's about a mile on the hiking trail. I don't know what would stop you from shopping or eating (given enough daylight) in combination with walking.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

I don't know anyone that would walk from Caneel to Mongoose Junction.

I know plenty of people that could, but I really don't know anyone that would.

It may only be a mile but it is one heck of a mile. It is not flat or easy.

Grab a taxi into town. It is a few bucks per person

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

We've done it. As others have said, it is indeed doable. But, we'd set out for an active day, not a day of shopping. Started at Caneel; headed over to Honeymoon & Solomon; took the Lind Point Trail into town. Stopped at the deli for a treat and a drink; hiked up Caneel Hill and over to Margaret Hill; finished by taking the Caneel trail back to Caneel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our hike, but it's not for everyone. In the afternoon, we just chilled at a beach. Great Day!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

Tinkerbelle, I guess you just don't know anybody who likes a modest hike. It's no big deal at all. And you get to look at nice views and beautiful plant life.

I'm not looking to argue, but to portray this as a difficult hike just isn't accurate.

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

It is not that far but as was pointed out it is not flat and perhaps the killer here is the road is not a pedestrian freindly road. I also would suggest a taxi.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

I wouldn't walk the road. That's what the hiking trails are there for.

Here's the deal. It's about a mile, starting out at sea level and rising to a maximum elevation of about 250 feet before descending back to sea level. It's moderately steep in a couple of places for short stretches. There are no areas of difficult footing that I encountered.

If that kind of a hike doesn't appeal to you, by all means get a taxi. But again, it's hardly a rugged alpine excursion.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

I agree with wpsaukee. With decent footwear, and going both ways using the Lind Point Trail, it's really just an extended walk. Throwing in Caneel Hill is the only part that I'd consider a hike.

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

I hadn't considered using the Lind Point or Caneel trails. It would be a nice hike without having to risk life and limb on North Shore Rd.

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Caneel Bay/Mongoose Junction

My reply was stated as a hike or dinner because I couldn't tell the OP intent- if I was at caneel and wanted to go out to dinner then I wouldn't walk to town I would take a taxi.