We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel: beaches/rooms

Buchanan, MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caneel: beaches/rooms

I have read all the reviews and am still undecided where to book a room. We are not going to pay the very high price for Scott beach, but are willing to pay for a beachfront room. I have narrowed the is down to Turtle bay or Hawknest. Could you help me dicied by giving info on the following:

1. Don't want to be near the children's activites.

2. Is there is differnce in the rooms in these 2 areas?

3. How about the view?

4. How about noise? I read that on Turtle there are yachts/boats going by. Does this make it noisy?

5. Differences in the beaches?

6. Sun exposure. I read that Hawknest gets the am sun. This is good, as we like to sunbathe in the am, but also some in the afternoon. Is there no sun on Hawknest in the afternoon?

7. Ocean..rough? Sandy bottom?

8. Which is the beat for snorkeling?

Thanks so much for helping me decide!

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

Regarding Scott's Beach - We spent an entire afternoon there, there is a strong current by the rocks carrying you towards Turtle Bay. There is some nice snorkeling by those rocks but be prepared to be bounced around and don't attempt to swim back to shore, just drift over to Turtle Bay and walk back. It's a quick walk and much safer. I got a couple of scrapes from the rocks there and my husband did too. Another poster mentioned that Hawksnest tends to be cloudy because of its geographic location. We tried to figure it out, the best we could come up with is that it is in a position where the clouds hang low between the hilly/mountainous region behind even when it is sunny the next beach over.

Buchanan, MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

Collectallthat...thank you. Nice to know about the current off Scott beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

we've stayed on Turtle Bay, so I can address those questions specifically. Great beach - very uncrowded and very calm. Personally, I prefer it to Hawksnet because there aren't room RIGHT on the beach. It feels more secluded and more private.

View is beautiful looking out toward some of the small cays off of St. John. Never had a problem with noise from passing boats - they're far enough away that it's not a disturbance.

It's easy to move between beaches during the day, so wherever you stay, you'll have the chance to sample all of them. Turtle is the farthest away from the "main" area of the resort, so it's secluded but it also takes longer to get back and forth.

Have a great trip!

Buchanan, MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

Thanks Carissa...helpful inofrmation. ANYONE else have any input? Also, just how far back from the beach are the rooms @ Turtle Bay & is there a view from the room/porch?

Thanks again!

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

Consider the premium ocean view rooms. Also known as Cottage Point. They are not on a beach but are right between Caneel, Paradise and Scott beaches, all with 2/3 minutes walk. These rooms are very quiet....I agrre with others that Hawksnest has am sun but does seem cloudy more often than others. The best pm sun is on Scott Beach. The only rough water I have experienced has been at either end of Turtle Bay. I have had good snorkeling along rocks on right side of Caneel and left side of Hawksnest.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

There is a nice view from the rooms at Turtle Bay, even though they're not directly on the beach. It's just a few yards up the hill. At Hawksnest, you will walk directly onto the sand from a ground floor room.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

We just got back last month and stayed on hawksnest on the ground floor and could walk directly out of our back porch onto the beach which got great morning sun.In the afternoon we walked 30 feet out of our front door onto scott beach.We never experienced any rough water except a bit of a slight current on turtle beach which is about 40 feet from hawksnest. You might ask about cottage 7a which is not directly on the beach but only about 20 feet from scott and paradise beach and I understand the room is totally renovated.There are no really formal kids activities that have interferred with our peace and quiet and we were there during the holidays. The beaches are mostly sandy bottom except for paradise which I remember as a bit rocky, and they all have a bit of sea grass that the turtles like to munch on. The boats and yachts are in the distance and the only remotely noisy beach is caneel which is still not at all too crazy and offers the free use of sunfish,kayaks and windsurfers. Little caneel is also very mellow and has some good snorkling and some big iguanas. The place is great seven different beaches and they each offer something special. Enjoy your trip.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
261 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

The TB room that I was in was on the second floor and had fantastic views (a window seat too) The bathroom was smaller than the HN rooms and done in cream marble as opposed the the tile/fishes look in the other rooms.

TB is up front the beach a bit, HN ground floor would be my choice. These rooms have a small front patio on the walk way and rear patio right on the beach. Both rooms were large, airy and very nice!

TB is closer to restaurant/afternoon tea location.

You won't go wrong with either!

Buchanan, MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel: beaches/rooms

Thank you all for your input. It was very helpful!!