We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel bay or Peter Island

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Caneel bay or Peter Island

Hi all, I need some advice. My husband and I had been to Caneel 5 years in a row but 25 years ago. Now it is time for our 25th anniversary trip. We thought we would go back but I keep reading that the food is not good and rooms need refurbishment. My husband wants to relax on a beach and I want to snorkel. Should we stay at Caneel or should we try Peter Island which seems to have better reviews?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

You will love the changes in Caneel and enjoy the hospitality without the stuffiness of of Peter Bay -- IMHO.

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

Thanks for the advice. What changes besides the fitness center?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

I would pick Caneel as well.

Peter Island is beautiful but I agree that there is a degree of stuffiness that Caneel and STJ does not have.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
465 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

Tough choice. If I were planning to spend most of the time at the resort, and just want a get-away-from-it-all trip, I would pick Peter Island. We stayed at PI briefly this past February and loved the private island feeling. Also, the staff at PI is great. I also think the food at PI is superior.

Having said all that, the nice thing about Caneel is that its on St. John, which is a wonderful island and gives you opportunities for shopping, restaurants outside the resort, strolling around town. Caneel has better snorkeling directly from the beach, but PI has easier access to good snorkeling in the BVI by boat.

Can't go wrong either place.

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

Thanks everyone- it is a tough choice maybe I'll leave the decision to one of cost since I can't seem to make it based on any other factor.

6. Re: Caneel bay or Peter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 01, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Caneel Bay