We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refreshed Bathrooms

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Refreshed Bathrooms

What does that mean? The Tradewinds has reported that Caneel Bay has made some improvements during the time the resort was closed updating the landscaping and refreshing the bathrooms. Has anyone seen/noticed the changes yet?

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refreshed Bathrooms

I have not seen the refreshed bathrooms personally but I have heard that the rooms with tubs had the tubs resurfaced.The other major renovation was with beachfront rooms on the main beach at caneel,most of the rooms have the capability of being adjoining rooms with a door between the two rooms which makes them good rooms for families with smaller children or guests who want two rooms that connect.The landscape has also been trimmed a bit near the beachfront on little caneel.I will be able to give a firsthand report in December.The steakhouse at turtlebay also reopens for the season on November 22nd.Enjoy

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refreshed Bathrooms

Thanks, Palmhill. Adjoinging rooms certainly is a good idea and will be appreciated. Have fun in December - we have to wait until February and are counting the days!

p.s. Isn't it interesting about the parking charge for non-guests?? Last February we saw the new entrance gate being built and wondered then what was afoot.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refreshed Bathrooms

The parking charge of $10.00 can be refunded if a non guest spends at least $10.00 on the property,a couple of bar drinks or an order of some barfood like nachos would more than cover that. I do think locals will be upset,but in all fairness there is a per person charge at trunk bay which is also part of the national park system.The ability to use extrememly clean bathrooms and not worry about cars being broken into will be a trade off for some while others will find free parking at beaches other than caneel bay.As a long time caneel guest I do understand the amount of $$ it cost to maintain the property,I guess caneel is asking for a small financial reciprocity for the non-guests who enjoy the beaches.With guests paying a minimum of $500.00 per night in season and upwards of $1,000.00 per night for beachfront rooms a $10.00 parking fee for non guests is a bargain in comparison.Yes the beachs "belong" to everyone but the resort is for the most part for the exclusive use of guests...you can save the parking fee by hiking over from cruz bay or by coming in by boat as a drop off.have a great time in february,enjoy.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refreshed Bathrooms

Although I am not trying to refute anything palmhill said, I would like to point out that although the land at Caneel was deeded to the VINP by Laurance Rockefeller, the hotel operates VERY independently of the park --in fact , in recent years there has been constant conflict. Caneel's management has moved continually further away from many of the conservation principles that guided the resort. This doesn't have anything much to do with parking charges, but it does have to do with sensitivity-- to the community and the environment.

5. Re: Refreshed Bathrooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, May 08, 2010