We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Honeymoon Review

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Caneel Honeymoon Review

We LOVED Caneel Bay!

I will start of saying that we are 30, both doctors, just out of residency less than 2 years. We live in California, but LOVE the Caribbean, and my family is from the East Coast, so we decided on the Caribbean over Hawaii for my family.

We got married in St. Thomas...and I love St. Thomas, have been there 5 times now..mostly on cruises so didnt get to experience it very much.

Got married on Magens Bay on May 9th... We stayed at the Ritz, which was awesome....alot of my guests stayed at Frenchmans, which was Great too....

So we went to St. John for the Honeymoon...we knew St. John was amazing already from previous cruises we have done...

There were 2 choices for us....Caneel or Westin

Now we are VERY much Westin People...we love them the modern upgraded full service place like this.

We hesitated very much to stay at Caneel but the reviews and people I talked to said "YOU HAVE TO GO TO CANEEL"

So we did...

We stayed at Scotts beach (no kids) Oceanfront, 73

OMG this place was AWESOME...!! No not the Ritz...but totally different and WAY better. We were steps from the beach, walked out our door to the patio where we were right on the beach.

We had a bottle of rum and champagne wating for us...but we did the honeymoon package, so that might have been a part of it.

Breakfast Buffet- More than you could ever want...and included several cooks to cook to order what you want

Bar..only open till 11pm....if you want later then go to town which is about 10-15 min taxi....easy to get right there

You will have to be transported from your room to the lobby most times...wait about 5 mins mostly, even at night

Mosquitos....BIG time b/c we came after the rain...we just used repellant and survived

Scotts Beach was the best .....we didnt even go far and we saw Sea Turtles and Sting Rays...we were on a raft and used snorkel gear that they give for FREE about 6 feet and we saw them!!

I cannot tell you how AMAZING this place was...so relaxed, beautiful...everything we could have wanted.

And...we were worried about being bored w/o TV...no way, we didnt miss the TV at all...we just went to the bar if we wanted to watch TV, other than that, we didnt care....

I HIGHLY recommend this place....the Westin is nothing compaired if you dont have kids..

There are places here for kids at Caneel, but we can comment on them b/c we dont know...but I know the Westin is very kid friendly

We want to go back so bad...when we left to go to the Westin, all we wanted to to was go back to Caneel...we missed it already...now we are planning a trip back, just to Caneel on Scotts Beach ....It was amazing!!

if you have any ?s let me know

Amanda

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Magens Bay
Magens Bay
4,775 Reviews
St. Thomas
Frenchmans
Frenchmans
389 Reviews
Tortola
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

Many congratulations on your wedding and I am soooo glad you had a great time at Caneel.

I do have a question you said............"when we left to go to the Westin, all we wanted to to was go back to Caneel." so I take it you split your trip??

Congrat's again

Pia

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

Caneel and Westin are two different worlds, but both wonderful worlds. When we take the grandkids we love the Westin when we go as adults we love Caneel and Gallows. When we go with couples we love the villas. STJ is just agreat place for all. 8^) Just give me another Bushwacker at the Beach Bar and I will be OK!

Omaha
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

Great review Amanda - Rewind the clock back to 10/15/93 and we had a very similar experience. The only difference is that we eloped and got married at Caneel Bay and spent the whole time there. We also stayed on Scott Beach - Room 82.

We just spent nine days in early April this year and also had a fantastic time.

Its funny because when I look at my old pictures, the beauty of Caneel has not really changed much over the years. We have been back twelve times since, so we truly believe it is a special place.

Thanks for bringing back fond memories for me and best of luck to you and your husband.

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

Pegasus,

Thanks for the comments. My wife and I are in our 30s, heading to Caneel and a room on Scotts on J23rd for our "10th Honeymoon" (anniv). Will be our 1st trip to Caneel, other than her hitting Trunk Bay on a Cruz for 5yr Honeymoon while I played golf on STT.

I would be interested in your comments/perspective on:

1 - Did you like your location on Scott, or ideally would you looking back have moved up or down the beach a few rooms (I know, I'm anal planning for this trip - want it to be amazing for my beloved).

2 - Did you rent a Jeep from Caneel any day? If so, experience? Did you hike any? Restaurants in Town?

3 - What nicer restaurants are open now at Caneel? Only the Ruins/Equator, or also Estate House?

4 - Thx for the Mosquito's comment. We'll bring/get spray. I wonder if it'll be as bad in late June as it was for you 1st of June.

5 - Did you do any Caneel excursions they offer offshore or on? If so, interested in your comments. We're trying to finalize decisions/reservations. We're active, but she also LOVES lazy days all day on the beach, so looking to alternate.

Thanks to you and ANYONE for comments.

GE

Mentioned in this post
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
2,598 Reviews
St. John
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

That sounds awesome! I'm so sad now, though....

When my husband and I (in our 30s, no kids) settled on St. John's as this year's destination, we had the Caneel/Westin debate. I wanted Caneel, but he couldn't live without the TV, so I gave in. Sounds like I might regret it. :(

Mentioned in this post
ct. usa
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

GE-

We were at Caneel first week of May. Weather was not the best- lots of mosquito bites due to the rain. The resort was "spraying" most days in early morning in an attempt to control them. They do supply plenty of Deet for you -even at the restaurants.

They did not have "onsite" car rental when we were there. So, it was somewhat inconvenient. We let the front desk know when we wanted the car- the car rental company picked me up at Caneel- drove into Cruz bay to do paper work-get Jeep and return to Caneel. Same scenario for the car return. Jeep was nice and new,clean ,and no problem with it. However,this did take valuable time from our vacation . In past Caneel used to have the car rental onsite.

We did not take advantage of any of the resort sponsored excursions, but in past the sunset cruise was always lovely.

The Equator and the Beach Bar were opened for dinner. Food was fine at both. We did wait for 20minutes one night at the Equator for our waiter to take our order- it was obvious they were having issues with the wait staff and we tried to keep an "island time" mentality. Turtle Bay Estate House is closed as it is off season. This is the elegant more formal restaurant.

'Hope this helps-

OWSA

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

sterry4 - the rates for Caneel are wonderful right now only $325.00 per night including breakfas,t maybe you can convince him to change his mind :)

Tell your husband to take his laptop and watch movies or you can sit at the bar on the beach and watch TV there :)

Pia

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

The $325 rates are sold out til August. I just called yesterday to look into downgrading rooms as an option, but was told all $325/night rooms are sold out til August. However, the free breakfast for 2 deal allowed me to switch meal plans and pocket a bunch of savings.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

So sorry it took a bit to get back to everyone.

First- Yes I did split my trip, but barely. We stayed 5 days at Caneel and 2 at the Westing. I was also worried about NO TV...but we didnt miss it at all.

I agree, the Westin is another world and if I had kids I would have leaned more towards the Westin, being there is a more convienient pool and likely more active kids club.

We did not get a Jeep...we were going to but basically our days were so filled up on the ocean or beachside that we ran out of time

Restaurants included the Beach Bar and Equator but the Estate house was closed b/c off season.

We ate at several great places in town and the Concierge can help with those... La Tapas, Morgans Mango, and several others we went too.. My favorite was Rhumb Lines ...no ocean view but had live music and we loved it.

Things to do- We booked almost everything with Caneel

---1/2 day sail

---Sunset Sail

---British VI trip to the Baths, Soggy Dollar, ect

---Free Snorkel geer

---Lunch/Picknic on the beach

Also they basically work with other companies that can really do whatever you want mostly...just ask and it seemed like they would do everything they could to make it happen.

Oh and if you think your going to miss a TV, dont worry, if you have internet, free Wireless throughout.

- we downloaded movies, got radio while we were there, but only used it for background sound while unpacking then never used it again..

Hope I got to all the ?s

Please let me know if there are more.

Mentioned in this post
Rhumb Lines
Rhumb Lines
1,259 Reviews
St. John
The Baths
The Baths
2,517 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caneel Honeymoon Review

OH....about Scotts Beach...

YES we will definately be staying here again

Very beautiful, private and decent snorkel off the beach....we just loved the view and the sand here.

I was told there is also a bar walking distance but we didnt go there...it was hidden in the trees a bit...kinda nice if you like the service on the beach but since there is none, being able to walk to a place can be nice.

Also we were in room 73....LOVED that area very much...I can tell you we walked up and down the beach, the only area I wouldnt want to stay in would be further down the beach, where it meets the grass/park area, the beach turns rocky as you want to enter the water, and I wouldnt have wanted to stay right there....they are the very end rooms of Scotts Beach.

hope this helps