We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Dalton...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

What's up at Cinnamon Bay? I'm asking because we have a reservation for January I need to change, and have been trying to call them and email them for a week with no answer or reply. Everyone on strike?

39 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Closed until November 1st:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14740…

Dalton...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

That explains it. Thanks!

It doesn't bode well to not have telephone support during the transition.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Here's the info on their website.

http://www.cinnamonbay.com

Hudson valley
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

They laid off a good number of the old staff and with the changes the new people are planning on making I don't think that all will be rehired Folks at the campgrounds will be grumpy no doubt. One of the mandates for the new managers was an updated online reservation system which is supposed to be ready on October 4th. I have it calendared to check my existing reservation for next April and hopefully I will be able to adjust it by a day. The new people don't have any "island" experience so I am very nervous about the changes

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Change doesn't presage future doom and gloom. From a recent article:

" 'Redwood Parks Co. operates outdoor adventure and resort destinations and municipalities, state parks, national parks and tribal parks. In the U.S. Virgin Islands, we’ll look to the National Park Service, local residents and current employees for guidance on how to be a good steward and member of the community. Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay are magnificent destinations that will benefit tremendously from new facilities and improved services,' said Brian Stewart, founder and president of Redwood Parks Co."

Some upgrades have been in order for a long time.

Hudson valley
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Agreed that upgrades were needed at the campgrounds, but the main reason they were not done was that the old management group only received yearly contracts. I spoke to Brian Stewart of Redwood Parks in July about the changes, so I know that some items, like replacing all the tents and their equipment, had a time table but others, like the design of the new cottages were still a concept, even after they had been rewarded the contract. And he did say that Cinnamon Bay would be more expensive, just not Caneel prices.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

It will be interesting to see how much you can charge for a cinderblock room with 4 single beds with 5 year old mattresses and a dorm room fridge. Seemed to me their prices were just about right as they were. I'd give strong consideration to returning to Cinnamon Bay and gladly pay a little more for the same room/cottage with sliding doors, an AC unit and queen bed! Even without private bathroom.

Pa.
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
133 reviews
8. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

I always thought it was pretty expensive to stay there. I know it is on a beautiful beach, but since we drive to them everyday, I don't really care about being on it for that $$ with no A/C. I will be curious to see what the new pricing structure is. Agree that upgrades were needed.

Hudson valley
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

they are mandated to stay within the foot print of the existing cottages. Although it was clear that no final design decision had been made, Brian Stewart said they would be going UP, sleeping lofts, possible balconies, MAYBE bathrooms. Everything in the cottages will be replaced: furniture, beds, linens. I for one am sorry to see the cottages go. I like the simplicity, have no problems with the beds and furniture, although real ceiling fans would be a treat. When I'm at Cinnamon Bay, I want to concentrate on being near the water.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?

Out of 80 nights on St. John we've spent about 8-10 at Cinnamon. We all found it very hard to sleep with the heat/humidity and no AC in the cottages. Put in sliding glass screen doors and AC and CB becomes viable choice for me.

Reply to: Anyone home at Cinnamon Bay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...