We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

Dalton...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

Anyone camped at Cinnamon recently? We are planning a trip for 10 nights in Jan 2017, staying either in a tent or a cottage. The price difference between the tents and cottages is not that much in Jan. The cottages look nice for having electricity and fan and close to beach. Tents maybe a bit more privacy depending on what site you get. Any thoughts?

28 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

Stayed there many years ago. First night was in a platform tent. We moved to a cottage the next day. The tent was dark and hot for us, we couldn't get any ventilation. We felt like we were at the ritz in the cottage after staying in the tent. We really enjoyed our evenings sitting out in front of the cottage.

If the price difference isn't an issue I recommend the cottages. If heat isn't an issue, you might be fine with the tents. I returned for a day trip last month and thought I'd still stay in the cottages. Ask for one closer to the water. We could see the water which added to the experience.

Enjoy.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

If you can book any of the "10" Cottages they are beach front and can't beat that. "9's" where we stayed are also good for views and proximity to the beach.

I would not tent camp in the tropics, rain, mosquitoes, the heat without fans...

Boston
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

We checked the whole place out once years ago during one of our first trips to Maho Bay. The tents looked nasty, way too buggy and humid for almost anyone I would think. I would do the cottage thing but the couple we saw along the main road looked like they lack in Privacy. Did you look at the tent cabins at Concordia by chance?

Dalton...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

We stayed at Concordia a few years ago. Love the place and that side of the island, but it's pretty remote, need a rental car the entire time, and the additional room cost per night adds up over a 10 day stay. Sure do miss Maho!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

OK, I know I will probably get blasted for this, but here goes....

We checked out Concordia last December. They let us see the different accommodations and I asked about prices for each. My hubby & I both asked each other as we left, "why would you stay here, with no A/C, no real kitchen, it's just one room as your living/sleeping space and a bathroom (I'm talking about the cottages), when you can stay at a condo for about $10-15/night more and have all the comforts?" At least the cottages at Concordia have their own bath. Cinnamon Bay cottages on the other hand have no bathroom. You have to walk to the bathhouse. Not something I want to do in the middle of the night. Yes, you can stay on/close to the beach, but Cinnamon Bay is not cheap either.

I'd eat PB&J everyday for a year to save up for staying in a condo or small villa with A/C over roughing it for the small difference in price.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

Bluewater, having stayed at Cinnamon I think your point is valid regarding $$ but if you are into camping than it is a different sort of experience.

Dalton...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

Just talked to the campground, cottages available are in the 1-6 groups, nothing in 7,8,9 or 10. 1 & 3 look like very little privacy. Any suggestion on which are a better choice among the 1-6 groups?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

New Jersey - Hubby & I used to camp a LOT. We both grew up camping. I never stayed in a motel or hotel until I was 18 (and that was with my now husband....heh heh heh). Anyway, we have done lots of camping both in State Parks and primitive (NO facilities at all in the middle of no-where), and as much as we love to camp, we don't want to do it on St John.

Edwardsburg...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

My dad and I will be at Cinnamon Bay cottage group #9. We will be there from 7-8 through 7-15. My dad flies home on the 15th. and I will stay a few more days in a hammock with a net .(bare site.) Call me crazy but i'm excited about this. $37 a night can't be beat! Any yes I really miss Maho camps. It would have been my first choice. Camping in the middle of the park is the way to go. The sound of the waves, and the tree frogs will be pure heaven.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground

I would go for units 3 or 4. I believe 4 has some trees in front of it, with clothesline. We stayed in 5 and I didn't like the orientation at all. I'd stay in 5 over a platform tent, though! We've also done a bare site. That was fine as well. We were just happy to be on STJ!

Reply to: Platform tent or Cottage at Cinnamon Bay campground
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...