We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Fuel

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Fuel

My campstove takes white gas...where can I buy this (on either St Thomas or St John)?

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Camping Fuel

If you can't find it locally you could ship it via FedEx. They are the only means I am aware of that is allowed to transport dangerous and hazardous goods.

Edited: 11:22 pm, February 06, 2017
Florida
Level Contributor
550 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Camping Fuel

The dry gas product marketed as Heet in the yellow bottle is often used as a substitute for white gas. It's available in any auto parts store and at least on the mainland is usually sold in convenience stores as well. (But get the yellow bottle and not the red one. The red has a different formula.) This is commonly used by folks camping while on bicycle tours due to its widespread availability.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Camping Fuel

This post is almost a year old.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Camping Fuel

We just love to keep helping....my fault! I will let this one fade away to gasses :)

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Camping Fuel

Before it dies again - way back when we used to use Amoco or American Standard unleaded gas a.k.a. white gas (before unleaded was the norm) in our Coleman camp products. This was back in the 1960's and I think before they even packaged Coleman fuel. Adding lead to gasoline to raise the octane would turn the normally clear liquid orange. Amoco was the only company that sold lead-free non-orange or "white gas" way back then. You avoided lead in your Coleman stoves and lanterns because it would clog them up and it still does.

Coleman makes "dual fuel" products that can handle regular unleaded or Coleman fuel or you can use regular unleaded in any of their fuel products but be aware that the generator may clog with other additives and the rust-resistant coating in the tank will take a beating. Read about it here -

http://coleman.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/~/overview-of-difference-between-unleaded-fuel-and-coleman%C2%AE-fuel

Edited: 5:16 pm, February 07, 2017
16. Re: Camping Fuel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, May 28, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...